What I Don't Miss at a District Convention

by simplesally 51 Replies latest jw friends

• shera
    shera

I don't miss sitting for hours at a time.

When I had my daughter with me I was on my feet all day walking around with her.I don't miss the glares from people because my daughter liked to fidget and fussed a lot.

Long waits to have a piddle .

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Sitting in the most uncomfortable seats for so long that my whole body ached for days.

Having someone's butt in front of you as they try to squeeze through to get out again and again.

Trying to balance your food in your lap and eat while wearing your best clothes.

Trying to keep children from going stir crazy and the speakers droned on and on and on.

Standing in long lines to go to the ladies room.

• unique1
    unique1

The convention centers had the tiniest, steepest steps. I would get super nervous going up and down them and rightly so, I fell several times.

The uncomfortable seats, it is sad when sitting on your song book with a bible behind your back feels better than the chair.

My feet hurting from walking on those hard floors.

Having to do bathroom cleaning duty.

Wasting a vacation day on something that tires me out more than work.

• gumby
    gumby

I don't miss spending ALL the time and money to go.........and then asking yourself........what did I learn there? What was the point of all this in comparison to the results? Nothing new learned.....or very little that could have been read at a meeting.

When you think about the new clothes people buy, the motels, the food, the hassel,.............what is the point when you really think about what you got out of it?

Gumby

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Me.

When I was single it was kind of fun because it was more of a social thing, always looking for the mythical rich single elder (supposedly he was from Houston). Once we had children, it became a real endurance contest: the hot, one hour drive from Dallas to Ft. Worth, the stinky bathrooms, the incredibly loud "mother's room," all the stuff we had to lug for the kids and the lunch (and then having to hear admonition about not bringing "too much"), keeping the kids occupied, trying not to fall asleep, etc., etc. The hardest year was the one when I was breastfeeding Jackson and potty-training Jennie. I heard MAYBE one word an hour as I raced back and forth between the mother's room and the ladies' room.

Ah, sweet freedom!

Nina

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Cruzanheart - I agree.

I never experienced all the baby lugging chores, but I remember what a really stressful time the conventions could be. Parking was always at a premium, seats could be hard to find, the A/C was never working the way it should. I used to go out to the corridors to get some cool air blowing on me while I was in full make-up, hair, dress, hose, etc. The one thing I absolutely HATED was the way the young men would go around with signs saying not to talk, to get into your seat, not to loiter, all that stuff. Does someone remember what the signs exactly said?

• Undecided
    Undecided

When I first started reading this thread I didn't remember all the bad things you had to endure at those assemblies. I have a tendency to just remember the things I enjoyed. After reading all the comments I began to remember how it REALLY was. I usually volunteered for something and I hated it.

I guess the reason I usually have good memories of those times was because my dad and mom was there. My dad died when I was 18 and I have missed those times with him as a family. Also it's been 30 or 40 years ago and the assemblies were different then, we actually had food served at a cafeteria and the refreshment stands were good also. I enjoyed hanging out with the young folks my age, there were very few in the congregation at home. It was an opportunity for us southern folks to go on long trips to cities we wouldn't have seen if not for the assemblies. I still have some fond memories of those times, since I usually just remember the good times.

Ken P.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Is there anyone who can safely say that they really enjoyed the assemblies?

The outdoor assemblies, where the hard plastic seats were so hot, the umbrellas that would not help, and the mindless dribble that would come from the speakers mouth.

These assemblies would last as long as 2 - 3 baseball games! Agghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The fact that there were tons of hot chicks, but none of them put out unless you planned to marry them.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Veterans Stadium.

Enough said.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit