So I quit smoking today..

by Aztec 60 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey Aztec, just a cute story about a woman from Edmonton, Alberta.

It's very touching, but sadly enough, when this story was on CBC's "The National" she has since passed away, a little over a week ago.

Give it a look: http://www.cbc.ca/national/news/finalact/

Anyone for that matter. Barbara Tarbox was quite a gal. (R.I.P. Barbara)

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I didn't actively quit, I guess I just lost interest. I was smoking a pack a day, and then I got sick and haven't smoked in over a week and a half. Whenever I even think of cigs, I feel like I'm going to throw up. Bizzarre. I guess my body knew when to say, 'enough'. No withdrawl either.

ash

• Aztec
    Aztec

(Nina, Annie, nowisee, out, Viv, Ray thanks for the story, ashitaka) Thanks guys! I don't know how you just quit ashi but I wish it had been that simple for me. I woke up this morning and didn't even reach for a pack of ciggies though so that is progress. I'm still afraid to eat though. Afraid I won't be able to stop... Stupid hand to mouth reflex! Oh well, I'm bringing a big bag of celery to work today and we'll see how that works. Out, as long as there are people is chat and I can chat my hands stay busy. That's been helping a lot so far.

Lotsa love!

~Aztec

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Congrats Aztec. I've watched one relative die of lung cancer and another going through it now, so I applaud your effort. If you need motivation to avoid eaching for that pack, remember that the people around you deserve to have you around!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I smoked from age 10 to 25. When I quit I used the nicorette gum as well as a cinamon flavored gum, and it made it easier. But I think my addiction was more of a hand to mouth thing. Unfortunately, since leaving the org just recently, the stress has gotten the better of me and I've been smoking again for the last few months. Don't make the same mistake. If you get stressed, find another outlet.

Walter

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

I am proud of you. And it is a challenge one day at a time. It gets easier as time goes on.

The nicotene is out of your body. Its that little monkey that sits on your shoulder next to your ear. whispers in your ear says feed me feed me!!!!!!

One thing I learned from one of the Docs at work. He made the decision to quit and not to be concern about the weight gain. And to focus your energy on being smoke free. The weight can be dealt with later. Its true I packed on some pounds. When the time came I could focus on weight loss. I did . People are teachers when the student is ready they will take care of matters.

For most people it takes many times to quit. So be gentle with yourself.

OCW

• outnfree
    outnfree

<in my best Jewish mother voice>

So..... how's it goingk?

out

• Aztec
    Aztec

((gcc2k)) Thank you. I've tried several times before but I don't think I was ever very serious. My son is my biggest cheerleader!

Walter, believe it or not I'm extremely stressed out right now. My hours have been cut back majorly and I am about to move. I have just been finding a better way to deal with the stress. Sleeping.

OCW, I am not so much worried about gaining weight as I am being out of control of any aspect of my life. I'm a control freak!!! I'd rather fill up on water and vegetables anyway. I have been eating at least two meals a day though.

Out, you're so funny! I'm doing good! I may need to chat later after I get my son to bed though. I need to keep my hands busy and I'd prefer not to use them strangling my son...even if he is asking for it.

~Aztec

• mouthy
    mouthy

Aztec I smoked two pack a day unfilterd Export A.....It was the hardest thing I ever did- to stop...Took me 9 months. I quit to get baptized as a JW ( thanks Borg for at least ONE thing they did for me) But when I looked after my dying husband with lung cancer it was awful Just think if you DONT quit you could be lying in bed with a bucket of blood ---yours_ beside you My husband did. & what is more at the very end his lung disintergrated & it came out of his mouths in chunks just like liver...

Sorry to be so graffic -but I pray you will keep that positive approach....I know you can do it. Sit on your hands. Hold Both hands on the cup when your drinking .... Take deep breaths OFTEN.. Pray for strength-if you dont believe in prayer I am standing in the gap praying for you .......GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Aztec. I wish you well in your endevours. I believe that you will be successful If you try hard enough.

My husband did. & what is more at the very end his lung disintergrated & it came out of his mouths in chunks just like liver...

Mouthy "Wow" that sounds terrible. I'm glad I never started. Tho' my wife claims that If I had'nt grew up in the borg that I would probably be.

B'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit