So I quit smoking today..

by Aztec 60 Replies latest jw friends

• obiwan
    obiwan

I am so glad. I wanted to rip that cancer stick out of your mouth so many times saturday.lol A pretty woman and cigs are not a good mix. If your looking for things to do with those busy hands, I'm sure I can help out!

• shera
    shera

Great,I haven't smoked for 8 yrs and I am so happy I quit.

Whoo hoo for Azetc!!

• Brummie
    Brummie

If you have any left over cigarettes feel free to send them to me, I'm sure I can be of help in your desire to quit.

Helpful tip: Keep your hands busy by picking your nose, this way you will appreciate being able to breath in fresh air more readily.

Brummie

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Aztec

I support you with your committment with not smoking.

I smoked for 14 yrs. towards the end 3 packs a day. Did the cold turkey thing. Health issues. Scared the liver out of me.

I had lot of support from co-workers, friends and support groups. I had to change my behaviors. Lots rituals with smoking. The reality for me smoking is all connected in not wanting to get in touch of my feelings.

It was a mind blower for me because I had quit drinking. It waslike starting all over again with the smoking.

The tools I used was 12 step smoking group. The best thing I did. Was my saving grace. I chew gum. I probably paved the highway from here to New York with gum and back.

I am smoke free 6 yrs. every now then I get tested. When it comes to mind is usually not wanting to feel whats going on. A stick of gum is inserted into mouth.

So be gentle with yourself and one day a time. Sometimes minutes.

OCW

• Aztec
    Aztec

Rayzor, Thanks! You cheering me on is a great incentive, and yes, my son is watching me..LOL!

Hippikon, I tried using the patch but found I needed to change my behavior more than replace my need for nicotine. I think it is more physiological with me. The gum is working pretty good. Thanks!

Obiwan, you're so funny!

Brummie, the only way I could quit was if I smoked every last damn one of those cigarettes and got it out of my system. If I had known there were still cigarettes somewhere in the house I would've been too tempted. It's bad enough I live with a smoker (my sister) and my coworkers all smoke.

Thank you OCW, you are an inspirational person. If I can make it past the two week point I think I will have kicked it. I'm more determined now than ever to not be a slave to the demon tobacco companies.

Thanks all!

~Aztec

• Aztec
    Aztec

Oops!

Thanks Shera!

~Aztec

• Shakita
    Shakita

Geeze......I just got done typing this really encouraging post to you Aztec....then it never showed up!

I will try again......

Keep up the good work! My Dad and Mom both died because of smoking. Some of the last words my Mom ever said were, "You know what I want more than anything else, a cigarette!" Isn't that sad. Dad died from lung cancer even though he stopped smoking 7 years before got the cancer. Being around Mom who smoked at least 3 packs a day didn't help, I think.

Congratuations on making the decision to stop. Just to make that decision to try to break the addiction is great! Just take it one day at a time. I never smoked myself (unless you count the time back in the woods at age 14 with a bunch of boys who had cigs, and after a few puffs I threw up all over the place) but I knew someone who stopped by chewing gum and sucking on lollipops.

Mrs. Shakita

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Years ago I worked in an establishment that sold oils, gasoline etc. and our best customer was a fellow of about 60 that suddenly came up with persistant sore throat and cough. When he went to the doctor it was determined he had throat cancer from 40 some years of smoking. Surgery, according to him, took out everything except what it took to hold his head up and he had to learn to talk thru a hole in his throat. They got the cancer but what a price to pay.

In short, keep it up, smoking will eventually kill you, at least it does most people. I managed to quit cold turkey when I was 34 after some 17 years of puffing, and I will be the first to admit it is the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life, but the results are worth it.

Hang in there Aztec!! You can do it!!! Bug

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hi Mrs. Shakita! My grandfather died of emphasyma and he looked awful up to the end. Half of my family smokes (the non JW half) so I am trying to show them that it can be done! Do you know anyone who quit by chewing gum and posting non stop on JWD?

~Aztec

• IronGland
    IronGland

Mmmmmm.cigarettes---it's break time, think i'll go get a delicious cup of black coffee and smoke a tasty Camel Light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit