An idea for $$$ and a cookbook for Simon's board

by Lady Lee 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It has been suggested that we have a recipe collection for posters on JWD.

And that idea was taken one step further by suggesting that we make a cookbook with the various recipes provided by the posters here.

All proceeds from the book would go to Simon to help support the board (which would be a lot easier than everyone getting a cut of the "profits"

It would be pretty easy to get a collection of recipes and make up some CDs.

I um have actually edited a cookbook before. It was a pretty bad cookbook and am rather embarrassed that I had anything to do with it. The author refused to listen to any suggestions other than grammar and typos. Actually it was abysmal so I refuse to tell anyone what it was. I think out of the whole book there was maybe one recipe I might have tried --- but didn't.

So... making them up and even putting them up on a e-book website to sell and sending procedes to Simon after everyone signs away their rights to their share would be pretty easy.

An e-book dealer would take the orders and send out the cookbook either as a pdf file (e-mail) or as a CD (snail mail). And they take a percentage of the book and send royalties to the "author".

If we did this all recipes would have to be personal recipes - not something you got from a book or off the net. I do believe that that taking a recipe and altering it might be acceptable but I would have to check copyrights on recipes just so we don't get into copyright infringements

This is do-able

So what do you think? Any takers? Any other ideas?

Simon you can stop this or OK it - it is up to you.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Recipes could be arranged from countries around the world or by meal type (like most cookbooks)

Recipe contributors can use their profile name or their real one.

And we would need a title for it

More ideas anyone

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

here's a title:

"Eating With Apostates"

Ravyn

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OMG that is too funny

• shamus
    shamus

APOSTATE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES...

Their stories, and their food! A disturbing profile of horror.....

With each recipie, we can describe in detail our horrid lives in the borg, and how badly we were affected, so people don't even eat, they just all sit down and cry....

(((Lady Lee))) I'm just kidding here.... I think it could be a good idea! I have some excellent hot wing recipies, and would be glad to contribute, of course!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Since this is meant to be a universal cookbook, it will have to conform to the various standards of ALL those who post here. So, it will have to have both imperial and SI (metric) measures. All terms will have to be explained for all, i.e. recipes will have to use terms which all posters will understand. So alternative terms will have to be parenthesised after the term used, eg. arugula (rocket), cilantro (coriander), peppers (capsicums), zucchinis (courgettes) and so on and so forth. In other words, it'll be one heck of an editing job!

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

You think too much Stephanus

Kansas District Overbeer

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hmmm instead of placing alternative names for items in each recipe we could have a glossary of alternatives or substitutes.

The measurement thing is pretty easy. Canada often prints both and most measurements are pretty standard. And there are conversion charts on the net for those that aren't standard.

When people post a recipe it would help if they knew the other names for something or people could ask and we could find out.

Since I have edited a cookbook before I know exactly how much work is involved.

I'm willing to do the work editing and putting it together - might ask for some help here and there and for lots and lots of ideas

I also might ask for help in advertizing the book on the net and anywhere else we can get the word out. And perhaps some help for research on e-book publishers who might accept this book

I think it would be easier to go through an e-book publisher instead of someone here having to collect money, mail cds or files and send royalties to Simon

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

If it's an E-Book, then presumably people using the recipes will be printing them out for use in the kitchen. They may not think of printing out the glossary as well. Which means going back and forth between computer and kitchen. Unless the doctrine of mise en place is heavily hammered in this book...

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Good point

I will give that some thought on how to easily incorporate the differences

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit