The dumbest thing I did as a witness

by Vivamus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

So many Queen lovers, ohhhh I can just feel the bond with ya all

Hungout, LOLOL, I am laughing my ass off here my brother. [private joke folks ]

*** Sings along, and sadly out of tune "Fat Bottomed girls you make the rocking go round" ***

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Oh, and Jgnat ... You are evil girl! LOL

• jws
    jws

One non-music dumb thing I did was break up with a great girlfriend because she was "worldly". Had dated "wordly" girls on the side, but never expected anything long-lasting. When one relationship lasted the entire summer, it got me to questioning who I wanted to end up with when I did get married. I decided I couldn't have a serious relationship with anyone who wasn't a JW, so I had to break up. Not saying she was "the one" or that we would have lasted - and maybe with my age (19), it was probably better not to get attached. But I hurt her and in retrospect, it seems cruel. And it was for a stupid reason. Now I'm so thankful I didn't end up married to a JW.

I also felt pretty dumb having lunch-time studies at work with other JWs there. What a bunch of dorks we must have looked like.

As for records, I was into AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Prince, and others. I love Queen now, but when I was a teen, Queen had a somewhat bad reputation even among "worldly" kids because of Freddy Mercury being gay. I'm not defending this stuff, but at the time, you didn't want to be caught liking "gay" bands or you'd be called "gay" too. And I'm sure you know how cruel kids can be. Didn't dare want to do anything else to make them not like you. Being JW and different was bad enough. Again, no offense intended over the gay thing. That's just the way things were at the schools I went to when I was a teen. Don't care what his preferences were anymore.

But, having some of those heavy metal albums, we never thought to trash them. Even after CDs came along and old LPs were out-dated, I still wanted to keep them - the art of album cover art just has never been the same with 5 inch CD covers. So, I've got a lot of these old LPs stored away at my dad's. On a visit back home, my sister and her husband stay with him. My brother-in-law decides to take all of our LPs and put them out in the garage. He feels some of them are demonic and he felt some sort of strange feeling when they were in the same house as him. Apparently demons attacking or something. I'm so glad he didn't smash them. Still have them and now they're in my home. I don't feel anything strange, but I did leave the JWs...

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Glad you still got them Jws, esp. the old LP's, its hard replacing those.

Queen
    Living On My Own

Sometimes I feel I'm gonna break down and cry (so lonely) Nowhere to go nothing to do with my time I get lonely so lonely living on my own Sometimes I feel I'm always walking too fast And everything is coming down on me down on me I go crazy oh so crazy living on my own Dee do de de dee do de de I don't have no time for no monkey business Dee do de de dee do de de I get so lonely lonely lonely lonely yeah Got to be some good times ahead Sometimes I feel nobody gives me no warning Find my head is always up in the clouds in a dreamworld It's not easy living on my own Dee do de de dee do de de I don't have no time for no monkey business Dee do de de dee do de de I get so lonely lonely lonely lonely yeah Got to be some good times ahead Dee do de de dee do de de I don't have no time for no monkey business Dee do de de dee do de de I get so lonely lonely lonely lonely yeah Got to be some good times ahead 
  • Nikita
    Nikita

The dumbest thing(s) I did were:

~NOT got to my Prom

~NOT go to my High School Graduation (went to a District Convention instead!)

~hurt my best friend since 2nd grade by being very judgemental over a situation in her family. Actually, her family is the reason I was introduced to the JW's, but alas, I became the die-hard dub while she and most of her 9 brothers and sisters eventually left the "truth" as soon as they were 18.

Listened and enjoyed Queen, but also Styx and Fleetwood Mac -didn't they tell us they were bad too? But, I held on to those 8-tracks and lp's as long as I could!

Taking a stroll down memory lane, now--

Nikita

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

The stupidest thing I did as a JW has to be bar none.........showed repentance at the first JD commitee, heck I was a scared 17 year old who didn't have the guts at the time to say screw this I'm out of here. I know I wanted to say exactly that in my heart, BUT.......... the rest is history. To think I could have gone in a totally different direction all those years ago and ended up here anyways........ugh! Then I just have to remind myself of the 5 beautiful children I have because I stayed and it's all worth it! Plus they aren't JW's and knowing my grandkids will have a much happier life without the JWism is good enough for me!

As for Queen..............I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike...........oh yeah! I'm a big time Queen fan! I really think if Freddie Mercury was still alive today his music would be off the charts, he was a musical genius IMHO, one of the greatest ever!

I'm really glad I never got sucked into the dubs idea of so called bad music. I never got rid of any of my "hippy" music I grew up with, Cream, CCR, Iron Butterfly, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, The Greatful Dead, Santanna, Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Alice Cooper, Three Dog Night, Ottis Redding, BS&T, Billy Preston, The Animals and don't even get me going on Motown, gawd I love Motown and who doesn't love Elvis! Yeah baby!

I'm just glad that as a parent when my kids had their love with music I never tried to inhibit it even when sometimes the stuff they listen to made me cringe.......one time my son who was defending his right to party, er I mean to listen to The Beasty Boys he gave me his CD I think it was their Licensed To Ill CD, well I really liked the CD in fact I love the song Brass Monkey that funky Monkey. Anyway they were allowed to listen to bacisly anything and hence I got to listen to lots of great music. MTV was always on at our house because I liked to watch it too.

I remember a lyric from an Animals song Montery; " You want to find the truth in life don't pass mucic by ". For some reason that just stuck with me from a young age, I love music very much. It's always there for me when I need it.

Oh yeah a couple of my favorite Queen songs, they remind me of my sweetie;

Crazy little thing called loveCrazy Little Thing Called Love

This thing called love I just can't handle it this thing called love I must get round to it I ain't ready Crazy little thing called love This (This Thing) called love (Called Love) It cries (Like a baby) In a cradle all night It swings (Woo Woo) It jives (Woo Woo) It shakes all over like a jelly fish, I kinda like it Crazy little thing called love There goes my baby She knows how to Rock n' roll She drives me crazy She gives me hot and cold fever Then she leaves me in a cool cool sweat I gotta be cool relax, get hip Get on my track's Take a back seat, hitch-hike And take a long ride on my motor bike Until I'm ready Crazy little thing called love I gotta be cool relax, get hip Get on my track's Take a back seat, hitch-hike And take a long ride on my motor bike Until I'm ready (Ready Freddie) Crazy little thing called love This thing called love I just can't handle it this thing called love I must get round to it I ain't ready Crazy little thing called love
    You're My Best Friend
    Ooh, you make me live
    Whatever this world can give to me
    It's you, you're all I see
    Ooh, you make me live now honey
    Ooh, you make me live

Oh, you're the best friend
    That I ever had
    I've been with you such a long time
    You're my sunshine
    And I want you to know
    That my feelings are true
    I really love you
    (ooh) oh, you're my best friend

Ooh, you make me live

Ooh, I've been wandering round
    But I still come back to you (still come back to you)
    In rain or shine
    You've stood by me girl
    I'm happy at home (happy at home)
    You're my best friend

Ooh, you make me live
    Whenever this world is cruel to me
    I got you, to help me forgive - oo oo ooh
    Ooh, you make me live now honey
    Ooh, you make me live

Oh, you're the first one
    When things turn out bad
    You know I'll never be lonely
    You're my only one
    And I love the thing
    I really love the things that you do
    Oh, you're my best friend

Oh, ooh, you make me live

I'm happy (happy at home)
    You're my best friend
    Oh, oh, you're my best friend
    Ooh, you make me live
    Oo oo ooh
    You, you're my best friend
    Katie (of the longwinded class..........whew)
  • rocketman
    rocketman

Queen - my goodness, as harmless a group as one might find anywhere. It's amazing stuff the jws come up with, isn't it?

I never threw out any music, including any Elton John music from my pretty extensive EJ collection. And had anyone even suggested I throw any music out, there would have been hell to pay.

• wednesday
    wednesday

i am so embarassed to admit that in a moment of religous fevor, i scrached out all the demonic songs on my original Bat out of Hell" album, by Meat Loaf. I also destroyed all my Rolling Stones albums. Thank goodness my son found an original album of Bat out of Hell at a garage sale, in mint condition and got it for me.

I once cut my sons hair while he was stoned./sleeping. he will never let me forget that.

I once called a sis up while i was reading the bible and swore i had received holy spirit and now understood its true menaing. thank goodness she has since developed short term memory loss and can't remember this at all.

weds

btw, i am also a queen fan, they rock

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Reading this has been very reassuring--nobody gave up education or real career or advancement in that career. Only a few engaged in shunning or other ugly behavior. So I think you did pretty well!

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Nikita, if it makes ya feel any better ... on this side of the ocean, we do not even ahve a prom

((((Bikerchic))))

Wednesday!

I once called a sis up while i was reading the bible and swore i had received holy spirit and now understood its true menaing. thank goodness she has since developed short term memory loss and can't remember this at all.

OMG! You didn't! LMAO

Rocketman, they probably knew you'd give them hell, and therefor they never told to get rid of that demonical stuff.

Kgfreeperson ... well, I think there are plenty of persons who gave up on carreermoves, and education... But, since I started this off with music, I guess thats the reason it hasn't come up on this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit