by Freedomrules 34 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Welcome, freedomrules. I call myself a fader. I slowly stopped going to meetings and have not gone to any for 6 months. Soon I will be labeled inactive. After lurking for some time, I started posting on this board because of the child abuse issue. I am examining all the things I have been taught by the WTS. The older books are eye opening.

Blondie

• Maverick
    Maverick

Welcome freedomrules. Maverick

• shera
    shera

Hello and welcome

• outnfree
    outnfree

Welcome, freedomrules!

It was nice to read your thoughts. This is a great place to be able to feel you are NOT alone, and to know that others understand the WT culture completely, thus what you are still struggling to overcome. We empathize!

Gopher wrote:

It's like "if you accept our religion, then we'll love you... Otherwise you are not quite good enough". And FROM THAT attitude comes the idea that maybe we've disappointed our parents.

Actually your parents should be PROUD of you that you went to college and are making a success out of your life and your marriage. If they would think about it, they would have a lot to be proud about. However, when measured by Watchtower standards, what matters is how they look to their friends that their child was not "successfully raised in the truth".

I was a Witness parent, and I can tell you, I worried too much about my children not being "successfully raised in the truth." They weren't conforming, they had their own ideas (and NOT stupid ones, either, lol), I had to "guilt" them into meeting attendance, etc. But, despite that, I knew they were NOT failures! They were/are GREAT kids!!! They are plodding through worldly life acting responsibly, morally and kindly (for the most part). What more can a parent ask?

I'm sure it was the same with you. Your parents know at a certain level that you are doing just fine, that your life IS a successful one, despite your rejection of their religion. It perplexes them, I'm sure (you're not supposed to be happy outside of the 'truth'), but trust me that they are aware and possibly even content that you have made a happy place for yourself and their grandchildren.

Oh, yeah, the grandchildren. Be 'ever vigilant', okay? Because they WILL try to condition them, as they have been conditioned. Not that you haven't already noticed this...

Welcome to the board!

outnfree

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day from downunder and Welcome Aboard, Freedomrules!

Glad you made it. Stick around and enjoy your journey with us.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Welcome aboard! You'll feel right at home here. When I was younger, the internet and message boards like this didn't exist, and only recently have I found myself dealing with my issues with the Watchtower. The farthest I got was Unbaptized Publisher. I'm glad I was never baptized, because I can still talk to JWs whenever I run into them. Glad to hear you married someone worldly!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Welcome Freedomrules!! I read your story, and yes, it does sometimes feel like we're alone in this - I felt that way until I found this site, and I was amazed that there were many others who had similar feelings.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I was amazed that there were many others who had similar feelings.

Says it all for me!

Dansk

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Welcome! So good to have you here.

When you stated that you used to wish your grandmother would die so she could be in the new system, it brought back memories for me. Two of the most wonderful people in the world are my grammie and grampa, yet growing up I was made to believe that they would be destroyed.I was so conflicted in my feelings, did I want them to die now, and then be with them forever in the paradise, or just take what I could get until Armageddon? Certainly not any thing a child should have to worry about. Part of the reason I left JW's was because of teachings like this. If the JW god would destroy two people who were the kindest people any where, then I wanted nothing to do with him.

I look foward to your future posts!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

JamesT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit