Jehovah protects his people. Did he ever protect you?

by TimeBandit 48 Replies latest jw friends

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Hello forum. I started this topic because I had been thinking recently about a story that I had heard many times in different congregations over the years.

Kind of a JW urban legend if you will. There is a myth about these JWs that were in service in a rural setting. They were walking up to a house when they saw a vicious dog running at them and they were sure that it was going to tear them to pieces. One of the JWs said a quick prayer begging Jehovah for protection. Before the dog reached them, at the last minute, the dog veered off and attacked a cow instead.

Did you ever hear a story like that?

I bring up that JW urban legend because I had a similar experience. The thing is, mine had a totally different outcome. No, I wasn't attacked by a dog in service. This is what happened to me, my wife, and two 'good' friends.

We were on our way home from a summer assembly about six years ago. All the way home I had been reflecting on the assembly. I had real joy in my heart. About half way home, I was in the midst of a heartfelt prayer to Jehovah. I was thanking him with a big smile on my face and blubbering all kinds of gooey sentiments thanking him for the wonderful assembly. I was the only one in the car that was awake, they were napping.

We were on the Santa Fe relief route that goes around the city instead of through it. Suddenly I noticed out of the corner of my eye a car about to t-bone us. Everything was slow motion from that moment on. For real, that's what it seemed like. In that instant I knew there was nothing I could do to avoid being hit. CRACK! The impact sent us airborne and we flipped in the air THREE times and took out a metal street light post before landing.

Can you imagine spinning in the air like that? Through the g forces and chaos I could see the total horror on my wife's face. And there was nothing I could do but watch. I thought we were goners. Boom! We landed into the pole and rolled down an embankment. We've never been so scared.

Somehow we all made it out alive, but It wasn't Jehovah that had saved us. It was the steel reinforcement in the doors and the air bags. I realized that.

After recovering from the shock, I began to wonder why Jehovah didn't help us. Why hadn't he intervened? We had just spent money we didn't have at a summer assembly to worship HIM. We had been faithful. I was actually PRAYING to Jehovah when the accident occurred. From then on I never felt the same about god.

That experience was one of the many things that led to my wife and I turning in our letters of disassociation some months later.

TB-

P.S. I do not consider surviving the accident to have been Jehovah's help. Like I said, it was the engineers of the vehicle who saved us....

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Maybe you shouldn't pray while driving. Keep your eyes on the road ;-)

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Ahh, yes but he offered you "spiritual protection" it's like real protection except it just allows you to keep your faith in JW.org. Too bad you chose to deny his wonderful "spiritual protection" and DA yourself. Now you've opened yourself up to "spiritual attacks" from Satan and his demon cohorts. These "spiritual attacks" are worse than physical ones because they blind you to God's word and don't allow you to return to his "clean organization."

• millie210
    millie210

This is a great topic TimeBandit.

I too have prayed for, waited on and looked toward heaven for answers to my communications.

The thing is, it is all highly subjective isnt it?

If a person makes it home from the assenbly safely - God gets the credit

IF they have a wreck and live, God gets praised for "saving them".

If they die..........well, no one is left to NOT praise God now is there?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Kind of a JW urban legend if you will. There is a myth about these JWs that were in service in a rural setting. They were walking up to a house when they saw a vicious dog running at them and they were sure that it was going to tear them to pieces. One of the JWs said a quick prayer begging Jehovah for protection. Before the dog reached them, at the last minute, the dog veered off and attacked a cow instead.

We had a beloved member of our congregation who was around 78 years old.He looked much younger,never sick,still drove and never missed a meeting.Well,Jehovah forgot to protect him while he went out in field service.He dropped off an elder from the congregation after a couple of hours of field service and drove back home.While driving home,a cement truck his car head on and injured him so bad that he was declared brain dead.A few days later,the family decided to pull the plug.

( A popular term meaning to withdraw nutritional support and ventilation from a patient in a persistent vegetative state)

Why didn't Jehovah have the cement truck driver veer off a little on the road and keep him alive?Why would Jehovah protect members from a dog bite but let another member die from a severe brain injury?

Jehovah doesn't protect anyone!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

If Jehovah protects us from harm than why do we also read the scripture that states, "Because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all?"

How can you have it both ways, Jah protects us but then bad things happen to everyone? Contradiction here?

Jehovah brings in sand during a storm for a Kingdom Hall build but several killed in a bus accident in Florida (on their way to a convention). Really? Maybe I'm missing something here.

• TimeBandit
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

"Did Jehovah ever protect me?"

I'm here and awake so what does that tell you?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

YES!

This topic always gets me going...

If god supposedly "brought a bag of groceries" for some pioneer couple, or he "protected the villages chickens" while at the convention, then WHY was he asleep when far more serious things such as your accident took place?

When I hear a witness speak about "Jehovah provided me this or did that for me", I get so irate! It is the height of arrogance for a witness to think he "saved" them, but turned a blind eye on far more desperate situations!

• blondie
    blondie

Even though Elisha was surrounded by the Syrian army, he was calm. He trusted in Jehovah and saw that Jehovah was protecting him. We do not expect miracles today, but it is clear to us that Jehovah is protecting his people as a group

ws 8/15/2013 p 30-32

14. What examples show that Jehovah does not always protect all his servants in identical ways?

14 Even in Bible times, Jehovah did not use his protective power to shield each of his servants from untimely death. For example, the apostle James was executed by Herod in about 44 C.E.; yet, shortly afterward, Peter was delivered “out of Herod’s hand.” (Acts 12:1-11) And John, the brother of James, outlived both Peter and James. Clearly, we cannot expect our God to protect all his servants in identical ways. Besides, “time and unforeseen occurrence” befall us all. (Ecclesiastes 9:11) How, then, does Jehovah protect us today?

Jehovah Provides Physical Protection

15, 16. (a) What evidence is there that Jehovah has provided physical protection for his worshipers as a group? (b) Why can we be confident that Jehovah will protect his servants now and during “the great tribulation”?

15 Consider, first, the matter of physical protection. As Jehovah’s worshipers, we can expect such protection as a group. Otherwise, we would be easy prey for Satan.

BOOK: Draw Close to Jehovah

*** w09 5/15 p. 22 par. 9 The Angels—“Spirits for Public Service” ***

Angels are ever alert to intervene according to God’s will. They rescued Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, Daniel, and Peter but did not prevent the deaths of Stephen and James at enemy hands. (Dan. 3:17, 18, 28; 6:22; Acts 7:59, 60; 12:1-3, 7, 11) The circumstances and issues were different. Similarly, some of our brothers in Nazi concentration camps were executed, whereas Jehovah saw to it that most of them survived.

*** w07 3/15 p. 24 par. 14 Angels—How They Affect Mankind ***

Satan has done everything in his power to put an end to the activity of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Yet, as an organization, they have survived such opposition and have prospered. This is, in part, due to the protective shield that the angels have provided.—Psalm 34:7; Daniel 3:28; 6:22.

*** g96 4/8 p. 27 Can True Christians Expect Divine Protection? ***

To understand why divine protection is given, we must understand that it is given not simply to enable individuals to live longer but to protect something far more important, the outworking of God’s purpose. For example, the survival of the Christian congregation as a whole is guaranteed because it is closely linked with the fulfilling of that purpose. However, Christ plainly told his disciples that they as individuals could face death because of their faith. After stating this, Jesus stressed, not miraculous deliverance, but ‘endurance to the end.’ (Matthew 24:9, 13) The fact that some individuals were protected, while others were not, does not indicate that God is partial. God simply used the person who was in the best position to accomplish his purpose, which ultimately will benefit all mankind.

*** g02 4/8 p. 13 Should Christians Expect Divine Protection? ***

Should Christians expect God to rescue them miraculously in every case of impending disaster? The Bible record does not support such an expectation.

How many missed the excepting phrase, “as a group” or “as a whole”?

*** w98 12/15 p. 22 When Armed Robbers Strike ***

While Jehovah protects his people as a whole, he does not intervene in every case to shield his servants from robbery. Job was outstandingly faithful, yet God allowed marauders to plunder Job’s livestock, with loss of life to the attendants. (Job 1:14, 15, 17) God also permitted the apostle Paul to experience “dangers from highwaymen.” (2 Corinthians 11:26)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit