Pregnant and Unaware?

by Shakita 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I had a couple of weird experiences........with my second baby, I had three normal periods (go figure) and then the rest of the (surprise) pregnancy went on as usual! The first two boys were 14 months apart!

With my fourth pregnancy, we had been VERY careful (40 years ago--no pill) and after four months with no period, I went to the Doc to see what was wrong.....and discovered another baby was on the way. Turned out to be our first girl! (Now Elderette!)

The last one (no periods 4 months) turned out to be a grapefruit-sized tumor which I left AT the hospital, LOL!

So mine were strange experiences, but I'm sure that if they'd been full-term. I'd have realized it was a baby long before the nine months was over! BTW, I weighed under 100 pounds soaking wet before every one of my pregnancies, actually the ONLY time I weighed-in @ over 100 lbs WAS when I was pregnant!

Those days are long gone! <grin>

Annie

• Mulan
    Mulan

That reminds me of a gal I know and I didn't know she was pregnant. She wasn't married and it didn't occur to me, but I sure noticed the weight gain. One day she was holding her back and I asked what was wrong, and she said the baby was laying on a nerve, and I must have looked shocked. She said "Didn't you know? Did you think I was just fat?" Yes,...............that was it.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

So far all of the comments have been from the woman's perspective, which I suppose is natural enough. But, being a guy, I can't help but picture the husbands reaction:

Husband comes home from work, asks wife, "So, what did you do today?"

Wife produces child and says, "Oh, I had a baby."

Husband, "Cute kid, where did you get him."

Wife, "I said, I had a baby today."

I can see this going on for quite a while

• freedom96
    freedom96

Though I certainly can understand a heavy woman not noticing the weight gain from being pregnant, I do question the mentality of someone who does not pay attention to what goes on in their body when pregnant. How can one possibly ignore all the signs?

• Shakita
    Shakita

How about the conversations beforehand like:

My your belly seems to be getting humongous! or

Why does your stomach jump around like that! or

Your breasts seem to be much larger the past nine months? or

well, you get the idea....

Mrs. Shakita

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

My cousin Layla was 15 when she had her first child. She didn't know she was pregnant. Layla was a big girl (big boned and chunky), always wore baggy clothing and had never had regular periods. She went to the emergency room with cramps only to give birth several hours later. My father's family is from a very small town in Missouri where EVERYTHING is still segregated between the blacks and whites. When her child came out half black, my family went beserk. Her black boyfriend (about 10 years older than her) had told her that she couldn't get pregnant until she had a regular period. She was naive enough to believe him. It's very sad.

She's a great mother to two children now, never married the father, but he still lives with her and supports her and the kids. She supported herself through nursing school and has a good job now. But my grandfather still won't talk to her and still won't have anything to do with her children. It's been almost 10 years. Grandmother has to sneak Christmas and birthday presents to them behind his back. Her father has talked to her about twice in that period. Her mother adores the kids and is back-boned enough to NOT care what her husband or father-in-law think.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Billygoat: Good for you Grandma to have the guts to stand up to an ignorant man...YEA GRANNY

• Dansk
    Dansk
    "She didn't realize she was pregnant," Lakeland Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Cindy Sternlicht said. "When they asked if she had any reason to believe she was pregnant, she said, 'No.'"

As there was no mention of any father, do I sense another religious cult coming along!

Dansk

• Shakita
    Shakita

billygoat:

Her mother adores the kids and is back-boned enough to NOT care what her husband or father-in-law think.

Good for her! Seems like my kind of lady!

Your cousin was only 15, of course she wouldn't be aware of the changes that happen when a woman is pregnant. Well, maybe some 15 year olds would, but I think the majority do not. I am glad that your cousin is doing so well and that she obviously doesn't share the prejudices of some of the other members of her family. Seems like the men in that family need to have a reality check! Ten years wasted on prejudices and those kids are the ones who suffer the most. What a shame!

Mrs. Shakita

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Sheila,

My grandmother is one of the most negative, bitchy, nit-picky, complaining women I've ever met. Nobody does anything right in her eyes. But the lady has fortitude and strength that I envy. Although I must limit the time I spend with her (dysfunction at it's highest level) I've learned a lot from her regarding standing up for myself. I've posted about her in the past: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/22648/1.ashx

Andi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit