Why Do Intelligent People Believe in God?

by cantleave 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Landy
    Landy
    For the believers it always seems to come back to the same thing: I don't understand it therefore God.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries - Does nobody ever feel the need to read a book anymore?

Cofty: Show me what the books reveal about a step by step process from the chemicals and catacalysm in creating the first cells and life, and the step by step process of those cells as they eventually become humans, fish, birds. Illustrations of each tiny change as a heart or liver, etc, was developed and how the life form lived without them. What book has the exact process that can be tested replicated in a controlled envirnment to then concur that is a FACT? What book??? In fact don't even just list a book, but make a nice post showing the formula from nothing to a human being. And when would you like to arrange to show us this process in a lab?

• cofty
    cofty
    the step by step process of those cells as they eventually become humans, fish, birds. Illustrations of each tiny change as a heart or liver, etc, was developed and how the life form lived without them.

Any one of dozens of basic textbooks on evolution will explain that in detail.

I have covered some of that already in my series.

"Endless Forms Most Beautiful" by Sean B. Carroll would be a good place to start or "Life Arising" by Nick Lane.

As for the other half of your question research the latest developments in abiogenesis. Lots happening in that area all the time. My money is on Alkaline vents under the ocean.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Any one of dozens of basic textbooks on evolution will explain that in detail.

I've only ever seen textbooks showing jumps. Cells, then aquatic life, etc. Jumps where the entire life form is changed.

List a SPECIFIC textbook that will list natural CHEMICALS ,etc, that any person or scientist can combine that will create the first block. Then step by step. What came first Cofty? In what order were brain, heart, kidney, liver, etc evolved? In each step how did the life form exist? Where is a picture or fossil record of the life form before, during, and after a heart was evolved, kidney, liver, etc? If many books existed on this and since you're such an expert, if you took the life form and stood it side by side, how many evolutions took place from the chemicals to what a human is now? Do you have a list and photos or illustrations of each of them? Details on how the body survived and operated before all parts were developed? I've never seen such a book.

At most I've seen a book that shows a single cell, then basic cells, many MAJOR jumps and steps that supposedly happened millions of years a part all based on guesses with no physical evidence.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Atheism is a lack of belief in "God" not a claim that there isn't one. (for every flipping out).

Pretty safe to day the abrahamic tyrant-god of the OT as well as most myths are not real. Beyond that what is there to believe in??? You WANT to believe. And that's fine for you, so relax.

It takes a lot of balls to admit that your belief is really just a desire to believe.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    It takes a lot of balls to admit that your belief is really just a desire to believe.

freemindfade - What peace of mind comes from believing in intelligent design vs not? If humans are the result of another biological lifeform that was on Earth millions of years ago, does that change anything? If made from a God who got bored and is gone and we merely live and die does that change anything?

There is a desire to continue life or able to continue it, but acknowledging or believing in intelligent design does NOT fill that need. Without knowing more, it doesn't offer if there is any afterlife or not.

My belief in intelligent design is because it's a lot more logical than spontaneous out of nothing.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Why do people quote from Wikipedia? It's not accepted as a valid source. It is a great tool and at the very bottom are the actual references.

Anyway, like Simon said who cares what intellectual believes in God. It adds no weight to the argument.

• Landy
    Landy
    My belief in intelligent design is because it's a lot more logical than spontaneous out of nothing.

Did your God spontaneously come from nothing then? If not then how did he get there? Your 'logicalness' creates a lot more questions than it answers.

• cofty
    cofty

EoM = Your questions display a staggering level of ignorance.

It's like somebody who can't count their fingers demanding proof of differential calculus.

If you want to choose one specific question that you sincerely want an answer to I will try to help.

• Landy
    Landy
    Anyway, like Simon said who cares what intellectual believes in God. It adds no weight to the argument.

According to a survey done (can't remember who or when) of the Royal Insitute there's a hell of a lot more don't believe than there is that believe, less than 5% iirc. And virtually no scientists in the biological fields.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit