Why Do Intelligent People Believe in God?

by cantleave 56 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

One of the most common thing thrown at atheists is - lots of intelligent people believe in god. This Darkmatter 2525's video is an excellent explanation as to why very logical people possess religious belief systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y201QzDdzbg

• KateWild
    KateWild

Angus,

You are intelligent and making the ridiculous claim about why intelligent people believe in God. I am intelligent and believe in God because of my scientific knowledge. Which I was discussing with cofty on another thread.

Scientific facts lead me to believe it's more probable that evolution was guided in the first stages.

But if you can prove me wrong as you are a chemical analyst also I will rethink what you're saying is a ridiculous claim.

Sam xx

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Why Do Intelligent People Believe in God? - because they are not Uebermensch - they're just as vulnerable and scared about illness, bad luck and death as the next person.

Why do dumb people accept evolution?

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Sam - I am not making any ridiculous claim. I am simply saying that I wait for science to find the answer to abiogenesis, which I firmly believe will be found in lifetime, and not filling the gaps with supernatural nonsense. ...........Anyway I hope all is well with you :)
  • adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

LoveUniHateExams, Why do dumb people accept evolution?

lol, great comment.

I don't deny the existence of God and think a case could be made for his/her existence. Too me it really doesn't matter, and I have a similar opinion as Mark Twain had on the subject.

God doesn't know we are here, and if he does he doesn't care. Not sure if that is an exact quote but the gist of what Clemens thought.

• Simon
    Simon

Because intelligence or aptitude in one area doesn't transfer to others.

Look at Ben Carson - he must be a clever guy to do what he's done in the field of medicine. But then he turns into a moron when it comes to Pyramids.

You can spend 10,000 hours to become a master pianist. It doesn't mean you can then fix a car.

IMO people believe in god because they have something lacking in their life and religion is an opiate or they just don't want to think about "bad stuff" and prefer a sweep-it-under-the-carpet approach instead. They want someone to tell them what is right and wrong instead of trusting their instincts and absolve them of responsibility for having to help others.

I don't think anyone is religious because of intelligence, they are religious sometimes in spite of it. No one becomes religious due to study of genuine independent verifiable evidence about the bible.

Clever people buy timeshares and fall for lots of other scams too.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yes I am well Angus,

But I disagree, your ridiculous claim is that I was indoctrinated to believe in God, but my parents are both agnostic and atheist. So your claim is not supported by the evidence.

Sam xx

I don't think anyone is religious because of intelligence, they are religious sometimes in spite of it. - Simon

Lol hahaha very good. Einstein believed in God xx

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    But I disagree, your ridiculous claim is that I was indoctrinated to believe in God, but my parents are both agnostic and atheist. So your claim is not supported by the evidence.

His claim was general, your specific example is anecdotal.

Lol hahaha very good. Einstein believed in God

It's very well documented that Einstein used "god" as a metaphor. He was, at best, agnostic.

• truth doubter
    truth doubter
    The age old argument, to believe in God or not has generated countless debates over time. A creation or evolution discussion changed my life back in 1968. The question was very simple. " What is more logical? To believe that orderliness (DNA and atomic structure) would come about from chaotic undirected explosions or a planner? Now I realize that according to an athiest viewpoint anything is possible over milliniums of time. But what is more likely according to what we observe in our environment? You've probably heard the illustration, " it would be more likely to place a bomb in a print shop, blow it to smithereens, and the result would be the complete volumes of the encyclopedia from A- Z with no errors! The universe is far more complex than any encyclopedia. Some form of intelligent director seems more logical to me. However that's everyones choice. The creation theory and the evolution theory are just theories. Everyone gleans whatever so called "facts" they need to satisfy their stand. One additional "fact" that still convinces me (so far) that there must be a grand architect is that the entire universe is made up of two things, matter and energy. Energy comes from matter and matter comes from energy. This is a fact. According to Isaiah 40:26, the creater is an abundance of energy. Therefore, the creater had the power needed to create the material universe. Another point that sways my conclusion is that every form of matter is made up of a structured particle, the atom. Most important is the fact that no one has been able to take matter (the dust of the ground) and" breathe into it the breath of life". Genesis says it was the creator. This seems very logical to me according to present discoveries. It appears that he made intelligent matter (humans) and intellient energy (the spirit creatures). When I came to the conclusion that it is more logical to believe in God, I was also introduced to WT. That sidetracted me for 45 years. I no longer believe WT has the whole truth, but, that has not stopped me from the logical beliefs I hold.
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Indeed, regarding Einstein:

Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the labelatheist, preferring, he said, "an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being".

Wikipedia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit