Pseudo history in Watchtower today 😂

by Gorbatchov 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. the thread topic...

On the rare occasion I attend with my devout JW Mom, I sometimes have to physically restrain myself from facepalming at some of the stuff I've heard said during the talk.

• NikL
    NikL

It seems that nearly every couple of months there is another little tweak - just enough to be noticeable for some of us. Because many JWs are busy trying to keep from falling asleep during KH meetings, they will probably not even notice the changes and just go with the flow. Then in a year or two, they'll all be asking each other: "When did that teaching change?"

Oh some of them notice Juan.

It's called "keeping up with Jehovah's chariot."

• menrov
    menrov

I wonder why the WBTS decide to revisit these old doctrines. What is the added value of doing this? They run the risk that more JW's get confused and leave. And I do not see how these revised or clarified old doctrines increase the faith of the readers.

The only reason I can think of is that influential people around or closer to the gb members are sometimes raising issues (inconsistencies) with these old doctrines. Why else would they bother? Who in todays congregation is ever interested about what happened then, with Russell and Rutherford.....

Any ideas?

• steve2
    steve2

This is a very helpful thread - excellent comments throughout.

One point I am not clear about: Did the Watchtower provide a "rationale" for the changed view of what happened 1918-1919?

• Spiral
    Spiral
    menrovan hour ago

I wonder why the WBTS decide to revisit these old doctrines. What is the added value of doing this? They run the risk that more JW's get confused and leave. And I do not see how these revised or clarified old doctrines increase the faith of the readers.

The only reason I can think of is that influential people around or closer to the gb members are sometimes raising issues (inconsistencies) with these old doctrines. Why else would they bother? Who in todays congregation is ever interested about what happened then, with Russell and Rutherford.....

Any ideas?

That's what I keep wondering..... I've never understood why they keep bringing up 1918-1919 and tweaking their interpretation of imaginary events. They should just let it go. My thought is this is something that most JWs don't really care about, so when it changes it's met with a shrug.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Why bother about WT events from a century ago?

I guess it may be irrelevant to the rank and file but for the GB it is like a holy dried pea buzzing around the insides of their empty skulls desperately searching for some justification for their existence.

All they can do is mythologize their history to make it sound as if something significant was happening in the early days of the religion. ("Came out of Babylon the great" = portentous nonsense)

As it happens there isn’t any justification for their existence. The reason for starting the Watchtower cult was to announce that by 1914 God’s kingdom will have made the earth a paradise. This means their sell by date has passed by 103 years.

Wouldn't it be fun if they were honest and sincere and were able to openly discuss how terribly wrong they have been right from the start!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    steve2 - "Did the Watchtower provide a 'rationale' for the changed view of what happened 1918-1919?"

I'm not entirely certain the Watchtower knows what the word "rationale" even means... :smirk:

• waton
    waton

Their whole claim to authority is based on them being the appointed Faithful & Discreet Slave, existing only during the time of the end. They strip away all that really happened and reshape it to bolster that claim.

It is certainly not by the accomplishments of wt that such a claim could be made or maintained.

WT's claim was always to be right, everybody else wrong. Was that not the message in our time? so, they are laying a new, crack - repaired foundation, crack-pot nevertheless.

• skin
    skin
    steve2 5 hours ago
    One point I am not clear about: Did the Watchtower provide a "rationale" for the changed view of what happened 1918-1919?

Yes, it is because they are looking for a modern day parallel to Exodus 2:23-25. and the 1918 - 1919 date didn't fit in with para 15:

15 Thus far we have seen that true Christians came into Babylonian captivity soon after the death of the last of the apostles. However, a number of questions arise: What additional evidence is there that in the decades leading up to 1914, the anointed were actually breaking free from Babylon the Great, no longer being enslaved by her? Is it true that Jehovah was displeased with his servants because they had slowed down in their preaching activity during World War I? And did some of our brothers during that period compromise their Christian neutrality and thereby incur Jehovah’s displeasure? Finally, if Christians went into bondage to false religion from the second century C.E. onward, when did they get freed? Excellent questions these. They will be answered in the next article.

One question I have. Is there any biblical reason to believe that the events that were recorded in the Bible long ago, are to have another or 2nd fulfillment in our modern day?

• skin
    skin

I've just reread the questions that they ask in para 15.

Who would ever think to ask these questions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit