CEDARS (Again) Is it really about religious beliefs?

by Listener 72 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Is taking oneself too seriously a hangover symptom of being in a cult?

Inside the cult, intolerance was taught and encouraged.

Judgemental attitudes abounded in the congregation, yet because JWs are all "polite christians" they rarely told you their problem to your face they gossiped behind your back and plotted your downfall with some elder or elderette they had in their pocket.

It's no surprise to me that some ex-dubs are extra sensitive to criticism and all questions can be percieved as a form of attack.

Put those things together and you end up with some very self-absorbed, know-it-all, paranoids. I 'm sure there are plenty who would enjoy watching the downfall of JC and there are plenty of sycophants who worship the ground he walks on.

Like most things in life the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Hopefully the more time spent around "normies" (normal, regular people who weren't raised in a doomsday cult) the more balanced one becomes.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I haven't read enough of Cedars to have gotten any of his personal bias in that way before now. Not even to know he was atheist.

I have a different perspective. I know atheists and Christians and non-religionists (who might still believe in God) who can respectfully discuss ideas with others. I know others that don't seem to be able to without belittling those who don't think as they do. That is a sad thing indeed, but MOST people can just have the conversation without denigrating others.

I have been put down by people of all kinds of religions and belief systems-but they don't define their belief system because they are not the rule, they are usually the exception. Thank God. (No pun intended)

Its funny because the atheist/christian/jw who likes to throw around their belitting comments are usually getting them from the same sources when they think they are educating me with their cuts and pastes. That is always amusing!

There are others who are concerned (all those groups) and approach me with that kind of attitude. I can't take offence at a caring attitude, even when it is sometimes a bit condescending

Then there are people who just treat me like a normal human being. Refreshing

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Sparrowdown: It's no surprise to me that some ex-dubs are extra sensitive to criticism and all questions can be perceived as a form of attack.

Although it is not surprising at all, it is still not very endearing to most of us.

My biggest complaint is when someone is hypersensitive to criticism while at the same time being hypercritical of others.

Hey, don't dish it out if you can't take it!

• cofty
    cofty

...and once again the usual suspects are confusing real life with debates on a religious discussion forum.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Oubliette - ok.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Re Cedars and the razor aversion: Its real!y very simple, he thinks he looks sexier like that - he's got the whole George Michael thing going on ( weak chin or summat)
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I am a thorough going atheist , however I do recognize that I am extremely fortunate to have had the oppertunity of experiencing a sufficient level of education that allowed me to come to that conclusion.

If I had been left to my own device I would probably be praying to a rock at this very moment.

Even the smartest of us has had to "stand on the shoulders' of giants" to see as far as we can.

In fact, in my experience, the more knowledgeable a person is the less condescending they are probably because they,more than anyone, are acutely aware of that fact.

• cappytan
    cappytan

I'm probably going to be absolutely reamed for this, but I like cedars. I don't "follow" him or think he's all that. But he is rational, articulate.

The whole book thing doesn't bother me. You know who else's website was on there? JWFacts. Why don't you all crucify Paul also?

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    I'm probably going to be absolutely reamed for this

Surely not cap, for shame! This is a support community for current and former Jehovah's witnesses. How could you possibly think you'd be reamed?

• Simon
    Simon
    Why don't you all crucify Paul also?

No one is "crucifying" anyone and I think over the top claims of being attacked are more to put people off criticizing / become untouchable ... am I right?

People are probably not critical of Paul because there's no indication he's involved and he doesn't have a history of drama and focusing on self promotion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit