CEDARS (Again) Is it really about religious beliefs?

by Listener 72 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

I think it's important to remember that bias does not nessesairly support a message being false or unfair. For example:-

A) Depending on what newspaper you read, will determine what political bias you read.

B) All newspapers realise good news is boring so they present bad news, which makes the world look a more dangerous place than it is. Which is clearly biased, but also very different from saying the message is false.

My personal option of Cedars website is that it is not for me, however like with newspapers I have plenty of choices available.

The Rebel.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Boo Hoo
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

Evangelical activists are annoying and, at times, can be downright repulsive. That's just the way it is. They don't take no for an answer. And when you stand your ground they abandon logic and immediately try to employ guilt tripping, fear mongering tactics to beat you down. An atheist/agnostic would never do that. They might be persistent in showing you scientific evidence. They might laugh in your face and laugh at your beliefs. They might even call you a hopeless zombie, but they would never try to psychologically terrorize you with the threat of eternal torment or the wrath of some deity in a triumphant, arrogant manner like the Evangelicals do.

Not every ex - JDub is going to get along and see eye-to-eye with your particular brand of truth. Big deal. I would rather spend my time with those who respect me for who I am and not what i believe, or more importantly, don't believe.

• Listener
    Listener
    Slimboyfat - Cedars says that he finds religion obsolete, and you respond by saying that is untrue. Excuse me, are you the authority on what's going on in Cedars' head? If he says he find it obsolete then he does. End of story.

No, I'm not an authority on what is going on in his head but it's what he wrote, He didn't qualify it by saying that he feels it is obsolete to him personally. He didn't qualify it in explaining in what way it is obsolete to himself. Another view would be that it is evident he doesn't believe it is obsolete because much of his work is all about religion. He'd have no activist work to do if religion was obsolete.

To be honest, I included the statement to point out that his article is not as well thought out as many of his other articles.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think Cedars is quite clear on this point actually. He says he finds religion obsolete. He's stating his view.

And I agree with his view because I too personally find religion largely redundant. Not to say others don't see it otherwise, but it's a growing trend in the developed world at least.

• Listener
    Listener
    It would seem theret is a downward trend with religion but the radical side of it is of great concern to many.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Christmas tree is originally pagan not Christian. So it's a bit rich for Christians to claim ownership of it. Secularists like Ryan Cragun suggest taking it back with its original meaning of celebrating life surviving the winter.

What do you consider the difference between obsolete and redundant?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I think I responded to a comment you now removed about Cedars probably putting up a Christmas tree.
  • tornapart
    tornapart

I think one of the biggest problem we all faced as JWs was intolerance. JWs are like many other fundamental religious group, very intolerant of others views and opinions (unless they think they can convert them).

It can be quite hard for ex-JWs to dump this state of mind and some who become activists can keep this mentality for a long time. ie their view is right and everyone else is wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions, they are not entitled to force those beliefs and opinions on others. After all isn't that what we all escaped from?

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

In my wanderings to find myself having left the " truth" I can recount how I found a personal relationship with God. It was wonderful. Now I am an athiest, and as I look back on my journey and how I passed through those stages, I realise I never deceived myself, I was always sincere. And I wouldn't expect anything less from those that believe in God. Just a different less earthly form of seeing the world.

If the above comments seem irrelevant to this thread, it's because l meant to post them on another thread....

The Rebel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit