Beards

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo
    My daughter has/had a 19 year old witness friend in UK, a few months ago she told me he was really down because he'd been pulled into the back room and counseled about his new beard. He was depressed about it because it had taken him months to grow and he liked it and they'd made him feel like crap. I was furious. This is a young boy who despite being smart had given up the chance of higher education, was auxiliary pioneering and reaching out, was keeping himself 'chaste' and spending way to much time at home for a kid his age, and instead of commending him they pick at him about his one way of expressing his individuality. Aaaaggggghhhh, their lack of nurturing for young people makes me crazy.
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I grew a full short beard in my last couple of years in, I finally got to the "fuck it" stage of life and stopped caring so much what others thought of or about me. I'd always wanted a beard so grew one. As i can have a full beard in 1 week it wasnt a long drawn out process.

My beard was well liked by pretty much everyone, but the Presiding Overseer still felt he needed to have "the chat" with me abut it while out in FS. He wanted to know my reasons for having it and if it had anything to do with being rebellious. After i said Jesus and all the apostles had beards and it's a man made rule (i suggested going beyond what is written) he backed off.

I wasnt an MS at the time, and had given up any of my efforts for reappointment.

I still have the beard now, I take the clippers to it each week and return it to stubble again.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    I'm in the UK, a big city, around twenty congs, I can think of at least a dozen ms's with beards, and definitely two elders at least with goatees. They're talked about though, despite being solid believers. Certain congs will not have them give public talks. It's ridiculous that this conversation is even being had.
  • crazy_flickering_light
    crazy_flickering_light

I come from germany. But I heard this days from a guy who got a lot of trouble in a cong nearby. No microphone or something anymore.

And some days before I had a talk about beards with an elder. Freaky. I've been told, it's biblical. But it's not a thing, he will talk about it. ;) I think, the brother in my cong is only MS on borrowed time. If there's a way, he will be kicked, for any stupid reason they can find.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated
    Well is showed up for the meeting today... no on commented except one elder who I knew half m y life... he said: You have fungus on you face.. Since he is bald naturally I simply said yes and you have no hair... we had a laugh an d I used a quick comment. I have eczema and mentioned my beard hided it... he nodded and left... On other brother although not commenting on my beard mentioned I looked younger...okauy
  • vivalavida
    vivalavida
    I have definitely seen fully bearded elders in Saarland conducting the Watchtower study. No big deal. In the north of Germany it is a bit more controlled I would say.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Next thing we know, and the org will dictate the way men brush their hair, the colour of ties worn, or the choice of car driven etc!

• mgmelkat
    mgmelkat
    Don't the scriptures tell us to be imitators of Christ? If he had a beard shouldn't we imitate him also by growing a beard? (I so wish it wasn't socially unacceptable for a woman to have a beard, I could finally let my facial hairs go crazy)
  • freddo
    freddo

Bump! In light of this weeks WT study ...

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I heard rumors that there would have been a petition signed by brothers in Quebec and this resulted in this week's watchtower.

That being said, I have some difficulty believing that rumor... I mean, with watchtower, it has always been power from the top down, never, ever the opposite. Any quebecers heard about this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit