I'm interested in discussing basic JW doctrines that you believe are unscriptural

by AlainAlam 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

TD but the book of life is opened at the end of the 1000-year reign. Isn't it explicit in Rev 20?

While the Bible mentions our names being in the book of life of not even in our days (Rev 3:5 for example).

Or am I missing something?

• TD
    TD
    ow

AA

TD but the book of life is opened at the end of the 1000-year reign. Isn't it explicit in Rev 20?

Yes. Exactly.

Or am I missing something?

JW's sometimes forget this and apply it to survival of Armageddon.

--And not just the rank and file either. I once heard what they call a Circuit Overseer go on for thirty minutes about getting your name in the Book of Life now, so you can survive Armageddon.

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

TD well supposing the Bible is true (which I don't believe), a person's name today is either in Rev 3.5's book of life now or it isn't. At Armageddon, he will survive or die based on whether his name is still there (he remained faithful) or not (he hasn't).

Right?

• TD
    TD

My understand (Which could be wrong) is that Rev 3:5 is specific to the anointed and their heavenly calling while Rev 20:12 is specific to the resurrection to judgement during the millennium.

Both were about resurrection and neither is/was about Armageddon.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ALAIN ALAM:

Welcome to the forum!

You say you are out because of problems about Jehovah’s personality and the Bible.

Other people are ‘out’ for varying reasons..some of them having to do with doctrines that are unscriptural..Even though the 1995 Generation teaching is what finally made me ‘fade’ - what led up to that was the appalling treatment I received in the congregation as a single woman who worked full time.. They used insults and shunning behavior to attempt to get me to quit my job!

I’m just grateful I never listened to any of these people or I would not be Retired today..It was worth being ‘shunned’ then as it has paid off now...I heard the religion is trying to contact ‘Inactives’..If they knock on my door they are going to get told off.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

They exhort all religions to examine their religion.The only religion exempt from this admonition is the Jdumb themselves.

W 1963, Nov 15 stated: it is not a form of religious persecution for anyone to say and to show that another religion is false. It is not religious persecution for an informed person to expose publicly a certain religion as being false, thus allowing persons to see the difference between false religion and true religion.

But if anyone utters even a word against their religion/ even questions/ doubts anything - be it to understand or learn or catch them out in their own lies or wrongs; they shout persecution, propaganda, satans lies, apostates!

This is a religion that scares easily.

Truth stands upto scrutiny!

Zing

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

TD We could quote another "book" in the Bible, like the book of life in Philippians 4:3 or the book of the living which is equated with having a righteous standard in Ps 69.28.

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

LongHairGal, thanks for sharing! And yes I'm glad you kept your job :)

• TD
    TD

AA

TD We could quote another "book" in the Bible, like the book of life in Philippians 4:3 or the book of the living which is equated with having a righteous standard in Ps 69.28.

I believe JW's teach that those whose lives were vile enough (Adolf Hitler zum Beispiel...) will not be resurrected during the millennium and Psalm 69:28 is invariably invoked in support of that idea. Apparently the thought is that God can blot out the record of a wicked soul or he can preserve the record of a righteous soul for future resurrection.

Phillippians 4:3 is outside the scope of my observation, which was specific to JW views of life on earth.

Since JW's believe the Bible is a single contiguous work with a central theme, yada, yada, yada, everything must integrate with the parenthetical statement at Revelation 20:5, which says that, "The rest of the dead do not come to life until the thousand years were ended."

In JW theology, the "rest of the dead" are those who were not included in the First Resurrection and are therefore resurrected to life on earth. Consequently the Book of LIfe at Revelation 20:12, in the words of JW's themselves is, "...Jehovah’s list that he will make up of those human creatures who meet his requirements during the millennium in order to be approved for life everlasting on earth."

This phenomenon, (JW's being sloppy with their own teachings for the sake of convenience) is not isolated. It's fairly easy to come up with examples.

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

"This phenomenon, (JW's being sloppy with their own teachings for the sake of convenience) is not isolated. It's fairly easy to come up with examples."

I agree. I think the Bible is so full of contradictions and so ambiguous that every religion who claims to cling to it has to do "something" to escape it. Catholics will tend to ignore it altogether. Some Protestants will claim literal parts are not literal. JW will find mind-twisting interpretations. And all, to different extents, will ignore parts of it and focus on others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit