I'm interested in discussing basic JW doctrines that you believe are unscriptural

by AlainAlam 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Let's see:

1) Detailed service reports

2) Concept of a governing body being spirit directed but not inspired

3) Elders not reporting crimes committed by their members to the police

4) Religious leaders not accepting any kinds of criticism

5) Practice of shunning includes close friends and family

6) Re-integration process (attend meetings at the back for 6 months to a year)

7) Prophetic dates they still consider valid (1914, 1919)

8) Baptizing kids (as early at 7 years old!)

9) Not participating in charity for the poor (soup kitchen and similar endeavors)

10) No blood transfusions

11) Disfellowshiping people for small sins such as smoking, celebrating various holidays, talking to disfellowshiped friends, etc.

12) 144 000 being a literal number and implying that the majority of the anointed ones today are self-deluded emotionally unstable Christians.

13) Reporting every faults and sins to the elders

14) Lying in courts defending practices that are unbiblical

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

AlainAlam

Thanks for the clarification.

Welcome to the forum.

• TD
    TD

You question seems to have a basic tenet of the JW's built into it as an a priori assumption

JW's and kindred groups believe the sixty-six book compilation is a single, contiguous work with a central theme and internal continuity from cover to cover.

(As opposed to a loosely organized anthology reflecting a number of theological views which did not truly reach its final form until the Middle Ages.)

I'm really not sure how some of the doctrines you mention above could be judged as scriptural or unscriptural in the absence of this view.

I'm willing to don that cap sometimes for the sake of discussion with a believing JW, but I'm a little puzzled here, since you're not.

I have sent you a PM

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Welcome AlainAlam and good speil on the old post link Cofty, I'll save that one.

RB

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Also, many here a shunned by the JWs simply for not believing in the rubbish any longer. Not just the odd JW, but systemic shunning from lifelong childhood friends, shunned from your own parents or children.

I’d be careful about announcing them as special

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

TD You're right. I need to learn to stop viewing the Bible as one coherent book, or even one book. Thank you :)

• fulano
    fulano

I am sorry. I didn’t read well the op.

• Quandary
    Quandary

Stephane,

Comprehensive encapsulation!

Thank you.

• waton
    waton

Here is a conflict internal to wt doctrines. The 12 tribes of Israel. they are sometimes 1) the earthly believers ruled over by the 144 000 as in " ----you will rule over the 12 tribes of Israel" and then 2) the "Israel of god" the sealed 12 tribes themselves bound for heaven, as in Rev 7.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit