I'm interested in discussing basic JW doctrines that you believe are unscriptural

by AlainAlam 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

Background info: Although I'm an apostate, I don't hate Jehovah's Witnesses, or the Organization itself. Actually I find that many derogatory comments here are extremely biased. I think most of them are amazing people, and I wish more non-Witnesses were like them. I left because I stopped believing in Jehovah and the Bible altogether.

So I'm not interested in discussing non-essential doctrines, but basic doctrines like: Trinity, hellfire, predestination, God's purpose being for the Earth to become a paradise, what the Kingdom really is, what Armageddon really is, what the 1000-year reign really is, etc. Whether you still believe in the Bible or not, is there any basic doctrine that JW teach and that you've found to be scripturally incorrect? If so, please share, I'd love to hear!

Otherwise, I'll start with a suggestion of my own: The Witnesses teach that the "unrighteous" are brought back to life in order to learn about God during the 1000-year reign. I think there's no scriptural basis for this thought. Any ideas for/against this doctrine?

• cofty
    cofty

Hello AA. Welcome to the forum.

I think one of the errors that the Watchtower has made is to denigrate the role of Jesus. I am convinced that the trinity is a post-biblical invention but it is also clear that early christians had a very different relationship with Jesus than modern day JWs.

If you are interested you could have a read at this old thread..

In summary - The apostles described themselves as witnesses of Jesus, they called him their only owner and Lord, and the one to whom they belonged. They were baptised in his name, led by his Spirit, rejoiced in his blessing and overflowed with praise for him.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

I think the Bible can be used to support almost any religious idea one can dream up.

So many verses, so many contradicting ideas and phrases, so much 'prophecies' and symbolically phrases that can be interpreted in whatever way and be made to fit any doctrine.

It all depends on what interpretation one fancies, and what verses one weighs heavier than other verses.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

“Actually I find that many derogatory comments here are extremely biased. I think most of them are amazing people, and I wish more non-Witnesses were like them.”

It seems, friend , YOUR sweeping generalization above is extremely BIASED. Without any specifics, evidence or reasoned debate, YOU seem to be making a big statement devoid of any backup.

2. We could say the same of worldly people.I think most of them are amazing people and wish more JW’s were like them !

See? the rope rubs both ways.

So you “stopped believing in Jehovah and the Bible altogether”? Isn’t this contradictory? Why then the “ academic interest “ in doctrines that have a complete JW leaning ?

• fulano
    fulano

Alain. Could you mention some amazing people here you mentioned, and why you think they are?

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Looks like someone read the OP assways!

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

cofty, thank you very much! Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I did use to feel that, but your post made it clearer. I'll check out the other thread :)

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam
    Anders Andersen yes I agree :)
  • AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

Hairtrigger, sure, you can feel JW's are worse persons than non-JW's, in general. You don't need to justify or provide evidence for your belief, unless you're trying to convince others. I'm not trying to convince anyone that my beliefs regarding JW being good persons in general are correct. I was just trying to say that anti-JW bias/hatred is not what I'm looking for in this thread, and that I'd like posts to mention doctrinal mistakes rather than other kinds of mistakes.

As to why I'm interested in such discussions, two reasons:
    The first is simply curiosity. I like to read and discuss thoughts. I will often discuss the thoughts of other religions I don't believe in, although on this group in particular I'd like to discuss JW doctrine in particular.
    The second is that for years I have been indoctrinated. Some JW teachings I'm sure are scriptural. Other JW teachings I'm sure are unscriptural. But recently I've been noticing that many beliefs that I've had for years and that I thought were scriptural, actually weren't. As a fresh apostate I'd like to make sense of the things I've learned :) For example, I've learned something from cofty's post above. Although I don't believe in Jehovah, Jesus, or the Bible, I need this. I hope this makes sense :)

• AlainAlam
    AlainAlam

cofty, just read your post there. Amazing. Some points were new to me. Thank you very much!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit