Brooklyn news on sending the elderly packing

by I am a Bible Student 62 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Giordano
    Giordano

Perhaps they are just moving the oldest into an old age home or nursing facility. Of course one that the Society has a piece of.

I wonder if they are downsizing in general so that everyone who moves to Warwick will have at least a private room with bath? No others need apply Unless you have a special skill they need for a few months hence that rental apartment building they also purchased in Town.

It would be funny if everything was being dictated by the availability of rooms. Not god's spirit............ but rooms.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

For newer members who may not understand why there is so much antipathy towards Rick Fearon and the fictional Johnny the Bethelite;

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/search/?q=Johnny+the+Bethelite

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I have not verified what "Johnny the Bethelite" is claiming regarding elderly Bethelites being shown the door. I heard about his claim a few weeks ago but wanted verification, so said nothing. However, when given the opportunity to speak to Johnny early last Sunday morning on a Six Screens Conference Call, I accepted. No matter what I asked, Johnny stuck to his story. I told him that if what he was saying was true, I was horrified, etc. I asked him to call me at home. He said he would. He hasn't as yet.

Time will tell if what "Johnny" is saying is true. Although, if the elderly Bethelites are extremely loyal even though asked to leave Bethel, they might not go public with the news. I suppose, we'll know if this is factual information, if in a few weeks other JWs verify it on their discussion boards, etc.

And if it's true, WT leaders are making a big mistake because at this time, many, many JWs are elderly themselves and loyal to the memory of the deceased old guard and loyal to their widows. To think that the wives of the deceased GB, and other hard-working widows of men who were in positions of authority, people I happen to have had pleasant association with when we all were younger, are being asked to leave Bethel is difficult to accept. If this is true, I believe there will be an uproar from many of the older, influential JWs.

Personally, I find it difficult to believe the present WT leaders want the elderly to vacate Bethel. But if they do, I can't imagine them not making a concerted effort to place them - 108 of them - in proper accommodations with willing family and JW friends. However that might be difficult since many of these people have outlived their relatives and friends. We are of the opinion that we need more information before we make unfair statements and pass judgment.

Johnny said that some of the elderly have dementia and others are very ill needing lots of expensive medicine and care; plus, many of them constantly complain about this group of GB members and their decisions that are changing the organization. He said it is for these reasons the decision-makers at Bethel want these people out of their hair.

Somehow or the other, I want to believe that he's mistaken and that they will not be put out. Both Joe and I are very disturbed, to put it mildly, over Johnny's claim.

Barbara

• Magnum
    Magnum

Barbara, I appreciate your balanced, level-headed post. Although I don't want those old-timers to suffer, I hope it is true because if it is, I think it will greatly contribute to the exposure of the org - showing it for what it really is.

many of them constantly complain about this group of GB members and their decisions that are changing the organization

That, if true, is really interesting. I can certainly see how that part could be true.

If the org is having financial difficulties as some believe and as recent goings-on seem to indicate, then it could be a lot more believable that it would desire to and/or have to show these older ones the door

• Listener
    Listener

If they are serious about cutting costs they would be rethinking the whole accommodation arrangement and be setting it up the Bethel resorts on a more dorm type arrangement. Most rooms look like they have one bedroom, a lounge, kitchen and bathroom. They could fit two in the bedroom and three in the loungeroom.

If they were desperately short of money, they could rent out rooms in the other buildings for anyone willing to come for a short period of time to volunteer.

The GB members may even be willing to give up their two bedroom apartments, freeing up more space.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There was a post some time ago revealing that Jud Ben Schroeder and his millionaire FIL were considering developing an Elderly Assist facility for old JWs. I wondered at that time if the goal was to get old Bethel members into assisted living paid for by Medicaid (welfare) since these old folks have little or no assets.

They could also use this fact of former Bethelite "heavies" there to get other affluent JWs to live there at very profitable fees.

With an arrangement like this and colluding with WTS to get these heavy costs off of their backs, they could probably even get HQ to approve pioneers assisting this elderly faithful Bethelites.

Anyone?

Doc

• Listener
    Listener
    There are the Jah Jireh homes operated for JWs and employing JWs.
  • Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Jay jireh home in Blackpool got a VERY poor inspection report from Care Quality Commission

• steve2
    steve2

Obviously, we would not even be having this type of discussion if the end had come.

This type of problem reflects an organization that has been intent on publishing its literature about the end and gloating in the past about the "wonderful increase".

It has been organized for little else other than pushing for and achieving increased output. Now with downturn in printed media worldwide and the end stretching into the distance, the organization is lumbered with redundant presses and a growing band of ageing volunteers whose medical needs and costs increase hugely year by year.

The organization has paid scant attention to contingency plans such as what to do if the end does not come. That's a monumental Oops.

So, the organization is facing the consequences of its own narrow vision. The ageing volunteer force within its walls is not new - but in the past the organization displayed a moral duty to the elderly and a will to provide appropriate care.

Now the sheer scale of the elderly within its walls has the GB apparently wanting to take a hands off approach.

That said, far too much has been made in this thread of an anonymous "report" from a self-proclaimed insider who more than a few here have asserted is not an insider at all. Indeed the mere name he has been "given" is enough to evoke derision.

Time - the one thing the organization has far, far too much of - will likely tell if the current claims are true.

Oh, and some corroboratory evidence in the meantime would be very nice too!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

andersonsinfo - "Johnny said that some of the elderly have dementia and others are very ill needing lots of expensive medicine and care; plus, many of them constantly complain about this group of GB members and their decisions that are changing the organization. He said it is for these reasons the decision-makers at Bethel want these people out of their hair."

This, IMO, is totally plausible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit