Are you better than Jehovah?

by Bona Dea 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

I was thinking the other night (my head is still hurting), this was right after I heard the news of Deanna Laney (tyler, texas) killing her two sons and attempting to kill the third...and I was wondering if Jehovah is real, did he watch it happen? I mean, he sees all, right? Well, what does he do? Does he just sit there, knowing what is about to happen and chooses to do nothing to prevent it? When I read about those kids, I cried. Those poor babies...I cried because could you imagine watching the one person in the world whom you trust to protect you coming down on your head with a rock and beating the very life out of you? Could you imagine how horrific those murders must have been? Could you imagine having the power to stop it and choosing not to? I kept thinking, if I could die so that no other innocent person should have to suffer, then I would. Most people would, I think.

Then I began thinking about the typical Christian response to these kinds of situations. Free will. We all have free will...yada, yada. But good god, shouldn't free will have some sort of limitations? I mean, if I were God, I would be like: fine, do whatever you want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. Once I saw that someone was about to step over that line, zap. And I'm not going on about the pain of everyday life, i.e. the arguments, relationships, the let downs, the scratches from falls, not these little things. These things are bearable. These things you can deal with and go on with your life. I'm talking about gore, absolute suffering, mental/physical torment, things I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The utterly cruel things that people do to one another...the things that are just as much a part of life as slamming your finger in the car door.

I most certainly could not sit back and allow - just for the sake of free will, proving my universal sovereignity, or whatever the reason - my children to suffer excruitiating deaths where they sometimes slowly starve and thirst to death just because of greedy governments, are sometimes mutilated, molested, raped, or tortured because of some pervert's "free will", or sometimes wither at the hands of cancer or some other disease that eat up their insides at a dreadfully slow and agonizing pace just because death is inevitable (and there's another issue altogether), but hey, I'm God...couldn't I make it just a little less painful? Just have a tiny bit of mercy and allow them a quick death? Instead, would I just sit there in my loftiness and see my children die these deaths that sometimes take hours, days, months, years and not bother to do a thing about it? Aye, to prove to Satan that they will love and serve me no matter what! Is this sick, or is it just me?

What kind of parent would do that?

Sadie

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Perhaps Sadie, the "sick" scenario of a god entity out there looking on, and us being separate and broken, little fragments is not true. Is there a deeper truth? One that as Buddha said was the "end of suffering"? JamesT

• Hamas
    Hamas

This isn't just you, I feel the same.

But we all most have a hope in something, rite ? If we give up on God, we have no hope for afterwards. I cant die without some kind of hope.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

I'm speaking mainly of Jehovah....the bible god. I am not informed enough to make any kind of judgements about the gods of other religions. And I'm not atheist. I still like to believe there is some entity out there somewhere who cares about mankind. But...I just don't know. When I see little children have to suffer such horrific acts, I wonder what kind of "god", be it the Christian god or just any old god, sit back and let things like this happen? If it is in our creator's power to stop things like this from happening, then why doesn't he/she?

• unique1
    unique1

It isn't just you. I have asked myself the same thing. When I asked my husband, he just said "Dear I think your religion has let you down." I still believe in god, but I don't understand why he doesn't do anything when his creation are seriously hurt. I don't have the answer. I wish I did, but he is our only hope, so I just keep hoping he will do something soon.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I'm speaking mainly of Jehovah....the bible god.

Sadie,

Since leaving the Borg three months ago I've been searching for truth. Jehovah, the God of the Bible, doesn't exist. How do I know? Well, if you track back you'll find scripture has its roots in Egypt and that 'Jehovah' is not even the correct anglicisation for Yahweh which, itself, is probably a derivative of the god 'El'.

There's a lot of information out there. Did you know that at one time the Hebrew scriptures were NEVER considered inspired? Then, the Christian Greek scriptures, also, were considered even less inspired? It was the Church Fathers who put the book of fables together and deemed it inspired! If one disagreed back then, well, let's just say you'd have to pray like hell and it still wouldn't have done you any good.

I don't believe in God any more, but that doens't mean he isn't there. I just don't know - but, in any case, he isn't working for us. We have to work out our own salvation, IMHO. That's where I'm at now. Good Karma to you!

Dansk

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

You are in good company, Sadie. Many people have wondered this very question. It was this sentiment that inspired the Beatle's song "The Fool on the Hill".

Traditionally, there are five main arguments as to why God has allowed wickedness. Unfortunately, every one of them has its corollary. I have them jotted down somewhere if you would like to hear them. Interestingly, the Society's "universal sovereignty" issue isn't among the list. It appears that the great thinkers of the world didn't even consider it worthy of mention.

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

I did think the same thing when I heard about the crime, but then I tried to see it from Jehovah's viewpoint. Since he has the power to resurrect those children in a better setting, it wasn't necessary to intervene at this time. It's obvious that the mother is crazy or suffering from sort of mental problem, so it must have been a nightmare for those children to live in that situation. Jehovah has the power to change that in the New System and those children will be better off at the end.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I did think the same thing when I heard about the crime, but then I tried to see it from Jehovah's viewpoint. Since he has the power to resurrect those children in a better setting, it wasn't necessary to intervene at this time. It's obvious that the mother is crazy or suffering from sort of mental problem, so it must have been a nightmare for those children to live in that situation. Jehovah has the power to change that in the New System and those children will be better off at the end.

So what's he waiting for? Is he really allowing such immense suffering just so he can win a bet with the devil?

• Hamas
    Hamas

Piss off lollipop of Jah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit