ARTICLE: Jehovah’s Witnesses investing more than $50M on Woodbury project

by AndersonsInfo 26 Replies latest jw friends

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

https://libn.com/2024/03/04/jehovahs-witnesses-investing-more-than-50m-on-woodbury-project/

LONG ISLAND BUSINESS NEWS

March 4, 2024

The Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, which bought the former GEICO property in Woodbury for $27 million in Dec. 2022, plans to spend at least another $23 million to build an assembly hall and two support buildings on about half of the site.

The development plans include construction of a 52,400-square-foot assembly hall, a 3,900-square-foot maintenance building and a 2,500-square-foot residence on about 9.74 acres on the southern portion of the 20-acre property at 750 Woodbury Road, according to the organization’s site plan application to the town.

The Wallkill, N.Y.-based religious organization is also selling a 10.23-acre parcel of the site that fronts Woodbury Road. The group plans to eventually demolish the existing 235,635-square-foot office building, which GEICO had occupied for half a century, but the office building will remain in place during construction of the three new buildings to serve as an administrative hub, a place to feed volunteers at the site, and obscure construction activity to limit any disruption to the community, according to Jehovah’s Witnesses spokesman Robert Hendriks. READ MORE:

https://libn.com/2024/03/04/jehovahs-witnesses-investing-more-than-50m-on-woodbury-project/

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    according to Jehovah’s Witnesses spokesman Robert Hendriks.

Thought it was said he was outta there?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Geico ...? Wasnt that the Godfather,s olive oil business ?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I always thought the big 'A' was imminent or "around...the corner".

And they keep building and building like theres no tomorrow.

• IWant2Leave
    IWant2Leave

The purchase was made in December 2022, so Hendrik's quote could be from an older interview. According to this website, Hendriks is the former spokesman for JW's.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm13578918/bio/

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yup.

The Borg is in fact,, its worst enemy.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"...a 52,400-square-foot assembly hall..."

What is the intended seating capacity?

Do they expect to ever see it full? How far is Woodbury from everything else?

Edited: okay it's not that far, and the hall is for seating 2100. I see that it's near LEGO land, an amusement park and a renaissance fair on the map. Were I a tourist in the area, I know where I 'd be headed. Hint: not to the JW assembly hall at Woodbury.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

From the link above:

"He was dismissed and discredited by the WT in February, 2024."

Discredited. WOW.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

At this rate, they’ll have all of Warwick county before too long, and “Watchtowistan” will be an actual, real thing, solely populated by the Branch Jehovians.

Every household will have an actual Armageddon bunker instead of a basement, with a dedicated hardline intranet connection to Warwick HQ, so they can access JW-dot-org without needing any “worldy” ISPs.

😏

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

As I understand it, the HQ is now in Warwick. Is that right? Surely that's sufficient for what they do*. Do they need another large facility? Is there an assembly hall at Warwick? If so, are they wanting to distance the GB and Bethel higher-ups further from the great unwashed by giving them an assembly hall between Warwick and NYC?

BTW, whatever happened to Patterson? Two decades ago, everything was moving there, IIRC.

*I called you Shirley again; sorry!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit