Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Wrong Regarding Staying Out of Politics?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

We were told we were part of the world if we got involved in politics. If we had employment that had political involvement we were instructed to get another job. We were told we might be considered disassociated if we voted and then it became questionable.

The Bible teaches us to obey the superior authorities and even pray for them!

Did the Witnesses get it right when it came to their interpretations on political matters??

• Ding
    Ding

Rutherford got "new light" that the superior authorities of Romans 13 were Jehovah and Jesus, not the worldly governments (as taught by Christendom).

After he died, Knorr got newer light that they were the government authorities after all.

So instead of getting brighter and brighter, on this issue it was a strobe light.

I'm reminded of this statement from the May 15, 1976 Watchtower:

"It is a serious matter to represent God and Christ in one way, then find that our understanding of the major teachings and fundamental doctrines of the Scriptures was in error, and then after that, to go back to the very doctrines that, by years of study, we had thoroughly determined to be in error. Christians cannot be vacillating—‘wishy-washy’—about such fundamental teachings. What confidence can one put in the sincerity or judgment of such persons?"

• minimus
    minimus

Blinking light

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am tempted to say that anything the Witnesses claim must be wrong. I am ready to say that if the reason for staying out of politics is to serve the Watchtower instead, then of course it is wrong. If you are asking whether a Christian should stay away from politics and if the Bible really says that, I would say that it is uniquely a Watchtower doctrine that most of the rest of Christianity hasn't concluded.

But if you are really asking if the idea is right or wrong in general- If an individual decides to stay out of politics and not take sides on issues, that is their decision. I see that as a valid decision. But to insist that others do that is wrong.

• TD
    TD

Yes they're wrong

Voting is a civic responsibility of everyone. Your only viable alternative is to go off and live on an island somewhere

The Witnesses make the argument that by voting, you are responsible for anything bad the person you vote for does, which is fallacious because that's not how representative democracy works. We as humans make the best decisions we can and employ others in areas we're not qualified or don't have time for. If a doctor, lawyer, architect, or engineer screws up, it's not your fault for hiring them. It's their fault for failing you. And it's the same with politicians.

Even if this were not the case, you are just as responsible for your inactions as you are for your actions. If you can do harm by voting, (I don't agree with that, but let's assume just for the sake of discussion that the Witnesses are right) then you can also do harm by not voting. If you are responsible for the bad things someone you vote for does than you are equally responsible for the bad things someone you don't vote against does.

So the JW argument fails on both fronts.

• minimus
    minimus

They misuse scripture to suggest it’s wrong to be involved in any way with politics. Charles Russell I believe was for praying for the leaders of the world. You would never hear that from today’s JW

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

To say that Christians cannot have a say in the laws and policies that God himself requires them to live under (Rom 13:1, I think) seems wrong. Further, to say that Christians can't have a say in the leaders who enact those laws and policies seems equally wrong.

Voting does not, in and of itself, mean you are against God's Kingdom, which isn't ruling over us yet. All we have as of now are the "superior authorities" that God has appointed.

So yes, I think Watchtower has gone way overboard on the neutrality issue.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They are in fact heavily involved in politics--making communism. They supply the energy to politicians to impose communism, through their heavy use of that bible.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    minimus:
    Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Wrong Regarding Staying Out of Politics?
    Short answer, yes. Long answer, if individuals are not interested in politics and don't want to be at least aware, that's up them (though not a position I recommend). But it is fundamentally wrong for people to be told not to have political opinions, particularly on issues that directly affect them.
  • jhine
    jhine

Many Christians believe that the need to care for the poor means that we have to at least take an interest in politics . That we should object to laws and policies that make life worse for the poor of the world .

Yes we can and should do what we can as individuals, charitable giving etc , but we can also work to change political decisions that will have negative impacts on the less fortunate .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit