Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Wrong Regarding Staying Out of Politics?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

Context is everything. No normal person reading that passage would come away with the idea that Christians should not participate in society.

I understand if someone has problems with war and related issues, but that doesn't mean you cannot or should not vote on whether a school gets built

• minimus
    minimus

I think there is some leniency with respect to voting on something that can affect Watchtower.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

JWs don't get involved in politics my ass. They lobby against laws that could be detrimental, they join other religions in lawsuits for similar reasons and they go to court constantly to get laws changed.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Rocket man we are supposed to be like Jesus

and be imperfect in an imperfect world until he returns.

Christianity was brought forward to humanity by a Roman government official.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Rocketman123, actually according to some verses in the Bible, Jesus did say his disciples (at the least ones who were his faithful apostles) are no part of the world (though physically in the world). John 17:6 first part, 9, 11 first part, and 14 - 16 (NKJV) say: "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. ... I pray for them. I do not pray for the world, but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. ... Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. ... I have given them, Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world."

Verses 14 and 16 (NWT of 1984) says "... no part of the world ..." instead of "... not of the world ...".

• jhine
    jhine

Many faith groups see the expression " the world " as representing the sinful actions of people . So Jesus's followers are not to follow the norm of the world . Sexual immorality, stealing , lying , cheating etc .

So l think that is more about not complying with the morals of the world rather than getting in there and making the world a better place to live .

Jan

• minimus
    minimus

Jhine.👍

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

jhine has it right. Thanks Jan.

Now I am out and free, I see it as my Moral and Civic Duty to take part in all aspects of politics to make the World a better place, not something JW's ever work for, they see this world as doomed, and simply sit back and do nothing for however many decades they may live, and let the rest of us work for things that will be of great advantage to them.

They are basically Parasites.

• zooooooo
    zooooooo

Maybe, as JW theology is that the 144000 make up a literal government/kingdom that was established in 1914 and it used to be that they were the JW, it would seem to be wrong for members of one government to be voting and taking part in the affairs of state of another kingdom.

• jhine
    jhine

Min and Phizzy , you're welcome . Glad to be of service : ) .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit