Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Wrong Regarding Staying Out of Politics?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

but that doesn't mean you cannot or should not vote on whether a school gets built

I knew a witness that voted on a school bond issue. He got a stern lecture. His reason for voting was he paid property taxes and the tax was going to go up significantly if the bond issue passed. If I remember correctly, the elders position was that while actually voting was bad, if someone saw him at the polls it could have stumbled that person. The horrors! It was quite a few years ago.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Here are the reasons for being politically neutral.

In the wars, Christians in German are not going to kill anyone from other countries, including their brothers and sisters in the faith and Christians in these other countries won't kill anyone else, including their brothers and sisters.

Politics divide. Can you imagine the elders or COs or DOs or GB talking politics and telling people for whom to vote and not vote? There would be divisions in the congregation and the organization. Being politically neutral (or at least silent about it) prevents any of that.

• minimus
    minimus

So, if a political issue comes up that wants to make a law that requires JWs to play taxes and stop their tax free status, the JWs should just do whatever the government tells them to do??

They will be the first group lobbying the political leaders to not enact such a law.

• jhine
    jhine

Why would COs or DOs or the GB tell people how to vote ? Anglicans are politically active but my vicar doesn't tell me how to vote .

Anyone can be a conscientious objector and not fight . That is nothing to do with being involved in politics. That is up to individual consciences.

Those are not valid reasons for non involvement in politics. As with most JW dictats it is to do with control and keeping Witnesses away from non Witnesses.

Jan

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

As I mentioned previously there is no instruction or admonishment for Christians to not participate in governmental affairs in the bible.

There have many devout practicing Christians and other religious denominations who do or have been involved in politics.

This forced separation from participating in world governmental affairs is not unique to JWS there are many religoius organizations who have the same doctrinal enforcement.

It becomes a bit ironic and hypocritical when these groups (JWS) take money from these governments from established worked upon social assistance programs.

These religoius groups seem to overlook matters when it concerns money.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Minimus, i don't think that telling congresspeople that one is for or against a law violates any neutrality. That is part of how the government works. The government is represented by the people and they are the people too. Taxation without representation is not fair for all.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Jhine, There are many many religions deeply dabbling in politics. Mostly for the abortion issue. JWs don't believe the best way to prevent abortion is laws against it, but to have the person not want to do that by God's law.

Being neutral would be behind conscientious objecting, however others do it because they don't believe in killing or fighing. The Bible does not forbid killing or fighting, ancient Israel did it. But they did it in support of God's kingdom. JWs like ancient Israelites would do so to support God's kingdom, but not man's kingdom.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Rocketman said "It becomes a bit ironic and hypocritical when these groups (JWS) take money from these governments from established worked upon social assistance programs."

I don't know of any JW congregation or corporation that took money from the social program. However JW individuals accept money from the government because they are tax payers and the laws provide for it.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I don't know of any JW congregation or corporation that took money from the social program

I wasn't referring to the Corporation (WTS) persa but individual religoius members themselves, who have been directed under control of the leadership of these religoius groups.

People participate in politics to make living better for people, such as in health and welfare.

JWs take these programs when it appeals to themselves but wont do anything for others in the general population like participating in politics, hence ironic hypocrisy.

Get it ????

• jhine
    jhine

Rattigan that last sentence is chilling .

If told by the GB to wage war on non JWs then the rank and file would start killing

And religions get involved in politics for all sorts of reasons . Lobbying governments to cancel the debts of the poorest countries , which are being hit the hardest by covid is one example .

The Watchtower is not know for it's charitable work , or caring for the poor .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit