Our Spiritual Heritage of Failed Expectations

by neat blue dog 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Today, I'm perfectly content knowing that one day I will join my ancestors in death.

That’s how I see it iusetobeadub. I’m going home....home to my people....to my grandparents and great grandparents, my great uncles and aunts and, sadly, I will be joining my beloved brother, too.

we would laugh at the Japanese leaving gifts and prayers to their ancestors but really they have done so much for us. We stand on their shoulders. The knowledge they gained through blood sweat and tears, the trees they planted, the drugs and vaccines they trialed so we could be healthy, the books they wrote and the bridges they built.

We would be nothing without them and wherever they are is where I am happy to go too.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Even when I was a true believer I used to think it was absurd that one could be anointed purely through the accident of birth. So being born between the late 1800s, when Watchtower was created, and around the 40s. ALL of these people, no matter what their nature, should be anointed.

The chance that out of millions of Christians that BOTH this couple were anointed. The hubris of it!! It’s really very arrogant, isn’t it?!!

This is why we had some quite cantankerous old birds claiming to be anointed in the 70s and 80s LoL.

Even as kids we used to wonder why God chose such unpleasant characters to spend eternity with LoL!! Of course we were told it was because god could see “ the secret person of the heart” and that gods ways weren’t mans etc etc

• rickroll
    rickroll

Its very difficult to change the mind of a cult member. It has to come from within. You can have the best argument with the most proof and if they don't want to hear it its a waste of time. The best thing we who are out can do is not to bring others out of the cult. They have to do that them self. But to stop others from getting into the cult. Break the cycle before it starts.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS has been the propagators of delusional hype which created their power and money, orchestrated through their own published literature.

That's still the job of the GB men today to sell their delusion and lure people into them from there they can exploit these people through fear, obligation and guilt to their ending will and purpose of sustaining the organization.

The existing belief in the bible is the vehicle or tool they exploited to accomplish their endeavors.

• blondie
    blondie

As to 2 people married to each other both claiming to be anointed; before 1932, most jws (Bible Students) and the WTS felt there was really on one hope for those getting baptized. Today, it is hard to imagine a congregation where every baptized jw had the hope of going to heaven to rule with Jesus. Most of us knew few and they were much older, and some of us didn't know any jws who claimed to be anointed.

53 years ago (around the mid-60's I did meet a couple where she did not consider herself anointed but her husband did. They were in their 80's then and come into the WTS in their 20's. So they were of the pre-1932 but she did not claim to be anointed. So there were a few jws (Bible Students) that did not claim to be anointed but they were looked on with suspicion, thinking these people must have did not understand the holy spirit's choosing them. BTW, Ray Franz claimed to be anointed, but his wife Cynthia did not.

• steve2
    steve2

Halt everything people. Check the small print in your life insurance policy regarding payouts. It says "In Jehovah's due time". And you thought it was just around the corner. Always - but always - check the small print.

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

So we have completely screwed over hundreds of thousands of people's lifes....

All we have to say to that is.....

"Keep busy!"

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I would think they'd shy away from saying anything that reminded everyone how wrong they were about 1914 and or saying anything about people who thought they were going to live forever but ended up dying before the new system came. I imagine such an example might have the opposite effect that they thought it would....they are so dumb.

He told his prospective bride, Pearl: “You know what is going to happen in 1914. If we are going to get married, we better do it soon!”

Pearl: " You're the Cat's Pajamas even though you're a Russelite but even so, I know that the Bible say's "Cast not your Pearl before swine....so as far as I'm concerned, the engagement is off !

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DIOGENESISTER:

I remember some of those “cantankerous old birds” in the ‘70s. Very unpleasant.

I was surrounded by these people (and some offensive pioneers) when I came into the so-called truth back then. I was criticized by all of them because I would not quit my full time job..[Meanwhile, these hypocrites ALL were either retired or had a family business.]..Thank God I ignored their idiot talk..What a lesson I learned.. Sometimes other people aren’t smarter than you.

If these people were still living I would track them down and write them how glad I am that I never listened to the Witnesses.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I doubt that the experience /example is even true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit