Our Spiritual Heritage of Failed Expectations

by neat blue dog 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Last Sunday's Watchtower tells the story of a man who:

was baptized in 1908 at the age of 20. He was very confident that he would soon receive his reward. In fact, when he proposed marriage in 1911, he told his prospective bride, Pearl: “You know what is going to happen in 1914. If we are going to get married, we better do it soon!”
    Did this Christian couple give up the race for life when they did not receive their heavenly reward in 1914? No . . . No doubt you long to see Jehovah . . . fulfill all his promises. Be assured that these things will happen in Jehovah’s due time. Until then, may we keep busy
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I wonder if they still stayed in after the 1925 debacle

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yep, sure enough. They were already invested. The article continues, saying they:

remained active and faithful until they finished their earthly course many decades later.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Really! what a sop to the JW faithful. This article was a message to the grumbling old timers within the Bethels who are now understandably questioning their faith in the Watchtower. The example is of one couple, notably loyal to the cult, who kept going despite the failure of the Watchtower promise of paradise and kingdom rule visibly starting by 1914. But how does this compare with the disappointment of those millions of JWs who have spent their lives slaving for this cult and every last one of them has been disappointed with the lack of fulfillment of JW promises? Many dying in the knowledge that they were duped. The JW organisation has an unbroken record of one hundred and forty years of false promises!

The reason for the discrepancy of promises and fulfillment is simple: the JW religion is a doomsday scam without a hope in hell of their promises ever coming true.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    changed mind
  • sir82
    sir82

What Half Banana said.

It's really quite sad - I'm on the far end of middle age, and I think of all the JW adults that I knew as a kid, hundreds of them, all believing they would literally "never grow old".

Now, they're all dead, or dying, or suffering from dementia. It's probably worse for the handful still mentally aware - imagine that you literally believed you'd never grow old - and here you are, 80 or 90, broken body, pain, grief, knowing you've got at most a year or 2 of misery & pain left before you too die....

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I spent 6 decades inside the borg. However, I have to admit that after 1975 I never put my full effort into it. Today, I'm perfectly content knowing that one day I will join my ancestors in death. I'm truly puzzled by some of my lifelong friends that still seem to be captive in the borg. I often wonder if they really believe the bullshit from the borg!

"You will know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH will set you free!"

just saying!

• minimus
    minimus

I knew of many of these “fine examples “ that appeared in the publications. When other Bethelites would read the story that the Watchtower was presenting, they would snicker. They really knew the faithful Witness and realized the story was either greatly exaggerated or simply BS

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

That scripture about expectations wasnt written as encouragement. It was a comment on things that have failed

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Do you mean "Expectation postponed makes a heart sick"....Prov. 13: 12

That is certainly true . Now that we struggle with the ailments common to old people, it must be sickening to those still clinging to their faith

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit