TV and the Media

by punkofnice 33 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I look at TV and the Media as all fiction.

I wonder if the media is now just a tool to cauterise the brain and zombify us? I'm sure the UK's BBC does.

It seems to be a tool to brainwash people to buy into latest agenda or trend that must be followed.....or you're an outcast like a disfellowshipped one.

Are they trying to dumb everyone down ala Idiocracy?

What you think?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I agree with your hypothesis.

Television, radio, and web based/print news media is unbalanced and overly biased. It is creating echo chambers of confirmation bias. Gone are the days of every family tuning in for the five-o'clock news to watch the same news anchor read the news as it is. Gone are the days of reading the Sunday paper with well research articles that contain just the facts.

This is the paradox of news media -

You don't want government run media...

Private media is for profit and red turns to green.

• Smiles
    Smiles

Yes, it has become a real labor to find unslanted media and entertainment. Pervasive agendas everywhere. WT included.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Worst part is BBC is still better than US news when I watch. Mostly their coverage of American stories

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

sport on the telly. Not for me thanks--i prefer to watch paint dry.

• hoser
    hoser

Rebel news, post millennial, epoch times, zero hedge. They all have a different take than the mainstreams. You still have to take them all with a grain of salt.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Adv adv adv - advertise, advertise, advertise. It's what PR is all about. Freud's nephew set up PR in 1920s. It was because the public were now literate and the world could not longer be run quite like the old boys club it used to be. Therefore consent had to be engineered. This was done using PR. Freud's ideas on sex and hysteria.

Women don't smoke? No problem, put out a few images of glamourous lady whoever with a fag in her mouth and the troglodyte women will smoke like dragons.

But of course nowadays you can't even call them women. That's the PR for you.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

Journalists, regardless of the medium, do have to follow a code of ethics. Every country has one and for the most part they have few difference? Canada https://caj.ca/ethics-guidelines

The role of journalism is to answer certain questions: Who?, What?, Where?, When?, Why? and How?

We all know that several people can watch the same thing and remember something different. That is why journalists take notes, record and video-record the events they are reporting on. They are looking for the honest answers to those questions.

But sometimes a problem arises when the editor decides what goes on the air or get printed and what doesn't. He or she most likely wasn't there when the event happened. He has to rely on what he reads or what he is told. And he has to worry about what sells and what might get them sued.

So stories do change.

And sometimes a person's personal perspective or that of the higher-ups gets too involved with what gets published. That is biased. That is not ethical.

The simple solution is to get your news from an ethical outlet. They aren't perfect. But many reporters do try to get the story right or risk losing their job and reputations.

• waton
    waton

that is why it is good to scan from Al Jazeera to BBC, Guardian, Newsweek and NYT ---.

• Simon
    Simon

They don't even try to hide their insane bias and nutty agendas anymore, it's blatant propaganda for the latest crazy belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit