Upbringing

by punkofnice 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dagney
    Dagney

I was born and raised in. When I finally stopped attending in 2001, I felt really sure about my decision, and also apprehensive of the repercussions from family, friends and the congo. I carried a lot of anger for several years, (I'd say 6-7 years-ish), I had to work through, and it took work. So many decisions I made for the sake of family and religion that were really not my decisions, many regrets. I went through stages of anger at my parents and also the corporation.

I had to accept responsibility for the decisions I made because I could have left earlier, but chose to stay. I have since found many teenage friends who did leave in the late 70's when I was really struggling to stay in. I would have been fine, but I didn't think I would have been so I stayed. I also realized my mom really needed religion. If it wasn't the JW's who came to the door, it could have just as easily been Mormons or Catholic ministries.

It is still a mental game with the anger. Because I have family still in, and paths cross in situations, feelings continue to mess with me some days. News of young ones currently teaching this c**p from the platform just does me in, and I have to sort out how I feel, accept they are doing what they want to do...I think. Thankfully I have great exJW friends who are going through similar feelings, and we support each other, daily sometimes.

So punk, it is normal to feel as you do. It just still takes effort to not let those thoughts overwhelm us. I'm shocked at the power being in a cult has on people. Have as much fun as you can and enjoy life is the best way to counteract this cult control.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Thanks Dodgy knees

😂😂Love it

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Similar for me , born in, late 50's when I woke up, nearly 60 wasted years ! I never felt anger at my parents, they did the best according to their lights.

What I find frustrating is when I have to hold my tongue with J.W family, I know all that they know, but know a ferkin' LOT more !

And when they spout a bit of nonsense, I have to keep quiet, or risk widening the already existing rift. It doesn't come naturally to me, keeping silent anyway, but especially when nonsense bullshite is being spoken.

Frustrating, but one day, maybe, some of 'em will wake up, will I be able to refrain from laughing at them ? For not doing so earlier ? I doubt it, but I ain't perfect am I ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit