What was your reputation in the congregation?

by JH 28 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

That I knew my Bible well. Elders either found that to be a good thing or that it threatened their authority.

The sister that could put together a talk in 5 minutes from walking in the door at the KH and have the audience not realize I hadn't been working on it for a week.

The sister who could vacuum the carpet or repair the vacuum.

The sister who would pick up someone who lived in a inconvenient location or help an elderly sister who was a little eccentric.

Blondie

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I've never responded well to people trying to tell me how to live my life so I was looked upon as being very rebellious. Compared to the elders children I was a good kid. I went to school, made the honor roll, and did not have sex or do drugs. The elders kids went to home school and with all that time on their hands did drugs and had sex. They sure were great ass kissers. I guess that was my down fall. Not being an ass kisser.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Kind, ornery, and unresponsive to 'counsel'.

LOL

ash

• unique1
    unique1

I was told I was the one ALL the younger kids looked up to. What a load of crap. All the adult in the congregation thought I was great!! Elders daughter, reg. auxillary pioneer, volunteer for impromtu talks and all that jazz. The kids knew me as a potty mouth teenager just like themselves who dated the worldly boys at school. I was the queen of the double life! All the other kids were too though, no big suprize.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was a well-respected elder's wife, I think, although I was also known to be very strict and a legalist. My husband was very active, for any elder, more than most, and I was too. I aux. pioneered for years, and was a regular pioneer for 2 + years. We were a well known family in the area, and I'm sure everyone was shocked that we quit.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Which cong?

1)The back home one will still remember me ( I hope) as a hard working elder who gave half decent talks.

2)The backward small town congo that we moved to latterly, views me as the elder who came up from the South, thought he knew it all , then suddenly for no reason wanted to resign. And once resigned or removed (Whichever?) stopped coming at all . "You see could not have been genuine, spiritual wimp!"

Of course they never bothered to ask why, never wanted to know how I was, could not care less in fact

Wife has decided to associate with another cong , some miles away, so I go along to some meetings for the sake of being together on the only free day of the week.

3)They view me as one of those strange husbands who come along and say nothing at the meeting bar the usual pleasantries

• rebel
    rebel

A big-mouthed, opinionated, 'doesn't-know-her-place', brain-dead trouble-maker

xxR

• SYN
    SYN

I was that guy who would pipe up and ask questions during the Book Study!

What this effectively boiled down to was that I never got any "privileges" (thank Ghod) in the Congregation, i.e. I never had to mow the lawn or shove microphones in people's faces. Which was fine with me!

Yep, I was the worst association EVER! Hehehehe...and I certainly haven't improved.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I was head of the model JW family; a ministerial servant who was informed by an elder three months before I left that he'd eat his hat if I wasn't appointed an elder next time round. Last I heard there was a piece of trilby stuck in his bowel!

My family and I attended all 5 meetings 20-30 minutes before they started (I was KH servant so had to open the place up). I gave public talks, read the Watchtower and conducted a number of Bible groups when the group overseer was away. My family was always chosen for the familiy items. My older daughter was a regular pioneer, as was my older son. My younger daughter was a regular auxiliary pioneer and my younger son an unbaptised publisher (who put more hours in than your average regular Dub). My dutiful wife and I auxiliary pioneered at least once every year.

With all the privileges I guess one could say we were a well-thought of family - but there was also underlying jealousy in a number of quarters. It was obvious that a number of brothers were after "rank" and prominence, whereas I couldn't give a damn. For a family that was called " a tremendous asset to the congregation" and "much loved" isn't it surprising - NOT! - that we've never been visited or had telephone calls since we left -- but we have been shunned!

I'm very tempted to swear here but I have curtailed my language because of your company. Let's just say I hope the whole scabby pile rots in a glaze of global publicity - and that, my dear friends, is putting it politely.

I've never been so happy since I've come out

Dansk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit