Queued for Processing ....

by cofty 46 Replies latest forum tech-support

• sp74bb
    sp74bb
    Hello Simon I have this problem. I have a TODO limitation...
  • Simon
    Simon
    ha, that was just a comment to myself that wasn't actually commented out - ignore it.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Got a new topic sitting there purring away queuing right now.

Do I trash it and start again or leave it to do it's stuff?

Either way it's a PITA as it's 4 am and I want to go to bed.

• Simon
    Simon

No, it's queued, it will appear. Just be patient. Posting again will just create duplicates and delay anything else you want to post even further.

The number of topics that can be started is throttled to protect against spam and also prevent people with too much time from taking over.

The per-day limit is a little, well, limiting. It should really be more intelligent and take into account a longer period to allow some 'burst' posting.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    So five hours later it's still queued. I tried again. It's still queuing. er... you may have a duplicate when it eventually allows me to post a topic. I'd not even posted much. The limit seems really low. How do I know if I will have a problem posting?
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks for bumping this K99, I missed it six months ago. Cofty Pm'd be about queueing, but must have forgot about this thread. I thought it was my laptop because I didn't clear my cache. But since I have cleared my cache, it's only queued once and then posted at 3am while I was sleeping.

It was pissing me off an bit so I bought a new laptop, but I was having multiple other problems too with my laptop being slow, I am going to do a defrag, what ever that means.

But thanks for the bump, looking forward to your new thread. What's it about?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

It's about a capable young man stepping down as an MS.

You may get to see it twice but even the duplicate is queuing.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    You may get to see it twice but even the duplicate is queuing.

It's no big deal really if it posts twice. Xant had a double thread about her daughter's graduation, and had multiple replies on both threads.

My Noah's Ark thread double posted too with multiple posts on both. But they were all quite short threads and there was no need to combine them.

I have only every had one double thread combined since I have been here, it was years ago when I didn't know how internet forums worked, and I couldn't see my thread because I was looking in the wrong place.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Still queuing. This can't be right.

• Simon
    Simon

Well, duplicates can be a big deal. It dilutes the discussion at the very least and usually the point of posting a topic is to have the discussion so that seems counter productive.

The queue is a much better solution to the problem of posting limits which are a necessary evil as I've already said. Posting limits protect against the impact of spam and also people who think repeating things endlessly is a good way to get their point across. It's also needed to prevent people using the forum or messages as a chat system. The idea is that most of the time we want to encourage more substantive content and the limits are plenty to allow the majority of people to do that unhindered.

The reason a queue is better than a hard limit is rather than being denied the ability to post and have to wait until you can, things just slow down a little to pace them out. Most people, posting regularly, are never aware of them, even when they start to take effect because initially the delays are small and grow, the further over any limit you get.

That's why posting duplicates or "test" posts is especially bad. Doing so simply puts you further into the red and means the next thing you want to post is delayed even further. If you start making duplicates of that as well ... you can see how being impatient and trying to beat the system doesn't work. It will always make things take longer, never make things faster. Even when test posts and duplicates are removed, they have counted against the limit and if I feel someone is creating unnecessary work for me, I'm more inclined to adjust the limits down, not up.

Finally, remember too that other people are posting and sometimes there are delays due to technical issues - it may take a couple of tries to download and process a large post with images for instance or there is some other technical issue. That's the other nice thing about queues - the only part that needs to work when you submit a post is pretty simple and less likely to fail, it's just saved and queued. After that, it will get processed eventually but won't always be 'instant' for numerous possible reasons.

It's not a priority but I think it would be nice to make the queue more visible and informative so you could see your posts pending and when they were due to appear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit