What would happen if Jepthas daughter disobeyed and got married anyway?

by nowawake14 17 Replies latest jw friends

• nowawake14
    nowawake14

Would Jehovah kill her? Or would she be shunned by her religion as a whole? Say anything you would think of.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Probably stoned. The value of a girl was as property or bargaining chip

Some think she was indeed sacrificed

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

If she had quickly married....

She would have survived.

She would have been the property of her husband and thus no one else would have the right to dispose of her AND...

She would not have been a pure virgin (the REAL reason she was sacrificed), the 'first to see her father' was a later cover-up for child sacrifice. To appease the gods you offered your best and brightest, your most valuable.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

judges eleven says that the dude would offer " whatsoever comes to meet me" as " a burnt offer" so according to that she only lasted 2 months cuz she asked for a chance to mourn her virginity...

so that's another lie told by the jaw.org people

• tiki
    tiki

A lot of questions surrounding that story....what really was the "sacrifice" for starters. And assuming the characters were real historical beings and details presented factual...given the patriarchal society and a female child being the lowest in value as a human, I doubt the girl had any choices. So very sad the misery humanity has endured through the ages...

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Mythology has some wildly interesting stories and characters for sure!

just saying!

• Half banana
    Half banana

Come on people, we are dealing with fables not historical facts. I think I have come across this same story in different guises outside of the Bible.

• blondie
    blondie

I would think no Jewish man would have married her knowing of her father's vow to God.

If she married a non-jew, that would open up another kind of censure.

Some people believe that she was sacrificed in religious fire. But I don't think that was the drift of the account. But then some believe these are only teaching stories, allegories.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I would think no Jewish man would have married her knowing of her father's vow to God.

Jeptha's daughter didn't even get her name mentioned in the story so why should anyone wonder how things went for her...she was only a woman ?

I wonder how things went for lot's daughters in that regard. Neither were mentioned by name but both endured the trauma of seeing their own mother smitten before their own eyes. Both were unmarried and intentionally had children by their own father. Even Jerry Springer would think twice about discussing that situation.

• blondie
    blondie

Pete Zahut, can I assume you are a man? Then, I can understand why it doesn't matter to you. Women might not view it the same way. It is a reminder to jw women how low they are in the hierarchy in the WTS. Probably lower than a dog.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit