What would happen if Jepthas daughter disobeyed and got married anyway?

by nowawake14 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Seriously blondie? He's commenting on how fucked up the bible story is, not suggesting it's a great template to base our existence on.

You seriously need to get over your bias against men. I get it, the WTS was "patriarchal", but that doesn't give you the right to react to anything a man says because a man said it.

And "lower than a dog"? What planet are you on? That's not the WTS I was brought up in!

Imagine if I started a post with "Can I assume you are a WOMAN?! Well then ..."

• tiki
    tiki

The patriarchal society....oldest adult male...head honcho...younger adult males, esp firstborn next...male children next stop on the totem pole...then adult women...female child the lowest in human terms. Whatever the story the female child had no rights. All they were to do is arrive at child bearing years and birth babies preferably male. In this story the female child never got to that highlight in her life.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The only thing that would happen is that the Fairy Tale would have a different ending -- in this case Jepthah's daughter might "live happily ever after".

Doc

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The patriarchal society....oldest adult male...head honcho...younger adult males, esp firstborn next...male children next stop on the totem pole...then adult women...female child the lowest in human terms. Whatever the story the female child had no rights. All they were to do is arrive at child bearing years and birth babies preferably male. In this story the female child never got to that highlight in her life.

So what you're saying is that the Muslims have it right regarding their view of women. It's a godly "scriptural" view.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

what's in the bible is coming from god... don't blame the reader, blame the writer.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut, can I assume you are a man? Then, I can understand why it doesn't matter to you. Women might not view it the same way. It is a reminder to jw women how low they are in the hierarchy in the WTS. Probably lower than a dog.

Yes I'm a man and believe it or not, it does matter to me what happens to women. Lot's of men (the majority) do care very much but typically, just as it is in many areas of life, one only hears about those who are doing the wrong thing. Men(especially white men) are the last societal group left where it's OK to stereotype them unfairly based on the actions of the few.

In re-reading my comment, I suppose I could have been more clear. My intent was to sarcastically point out the irony that in the Bible, even when they have a significant part in many of the noteworthy accounts, women are so lowly that they often aren't even mentioned by name ie: Jeptha's daughter, Lot's Wife and Daughters.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Didn't Jeptha's daughter have a better fate that Lot's 2 daughters? Lot's daughters had to 'witness' jehober turn their mommy into a pillar of salt, lol,lol, and then they were both probably so traumatized that they screwed their daddy and both of them got them pregnant from daddy Lot! Wow!

Of course Lot was innocent because he was totally drunk during both incestuous encounters! lol-lol

just saying!

• tiki
    tiki

Desirous....not saying it is right or wrong...i personally believe that the patriarchal arrangement is archaic and demeaning to women. I believe humans should be on equal footing as regards rights, dignity, and respect. Also that whatever choices a man or a woman makes regarding their career, lifestyle etc is their personal responsibility and privilege. A biblical type patriarchal society does not allow females those rights or options.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit