A film about Jonah

by Sergey Antonov 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Sergey Antonov
    Sergey Antonov

Perhaps this is the thread that will be used in the future.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    holy moly, To the contrary, it totally discredits "Jesus" for having endorsed such an account.

Certainly... If Jesus actually believed this drivel, then it becomes clear that he was who we always suspected.... a delusional egotistical hippie who wore a dress, and who knew Jews were waiting for a messiah, so he convinced himself that he was certainly this person.

This is no different than the thousands of delusional egotistical JWs who actually believe that they have been chosen by God to be part of 144,000. Some folks just really want to be special.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I don't know if anybody has touched on this. But the John Cedars youtube channel did a wonderful rebuttal about the ''Jonah'' video. I know that many here are not too ''fond'' of the Cedars' channel, but I think he's actually pretty smart.

He touched-on it would be physically impossible for a man to survive in the belly of that fish. He mentioned that the size of the fish's insides wouldn't permit it, it would be impossible.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The speaker introduced the Jonah video as the 'Feature Film'. After watching it I thought it was a 'Feature Flop'!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Which end did Jonah come out in the film?????
  • sir82
    sir82

The "feature film" demonstrated just how ludicrous it is to treat the Biblical tale of Jonah as stone-cold literal history.

I don't even know where to begin - it's just bad.

Imagine an archaeologist in the year 7518 finds a working DVD player and a disk of the Marx Brothers "Duck Soup". Imagine he treats it as if it were a literal, factual documentary and proceeds to write a dozen volumes on 20th century politics based solely on the "truths" found in "Duck Soup".

That's about what JWs do when they take the story of Jonah and treat it as literally as they did in this film.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I know WT likes to call allegories "the account of Jonah and the big fish" "the account of this and that" etc, but, shhh guess what it's a story, it's not real and was never meant to be real.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I would be curious to know if anyone here believes the story:)

• waton
    waton
    The most interesting thing is that with Jonah's help one can explain the delay of Armageddon.

nyet antonow, the most interesting thing is, that jws, like Jonah, are reminded in the film that they also are destined to find out that they preached a false message, as they already experienced in 1914, 1925, 1975 and will in 2075 when the extended overlap lapses. imho.

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

A quote from here:

https://sermons.faithlife.com/sermons/13192-jonah-the-faithful-servant

The Book of Jonah is small in size (a mere forty-eight verses) but great in its impact and extremely significant in light of its controversial interpretive history. The character, Jonah, has intrigued believers for many centuries. Unfortunately, he has become caricatured by many who miss the positive results of an objective examination of his life. The Book of Jonah is a case study of “missed blessings” because so many readers focus upon its supposed difficulties rather than upon its rich teachings. J. H. Kennedy laments this reality. He states that “to some people Jonah is only a hocus-pocus term which conjures up thoughts about bad luck and personal misfortune. . . . To many people, Jonah suggests an ancient literary myth, a fantastic tale about a man’s being swallowed by a whale and surviving the ordeal. The story is marked by the usual fictional extravagance of folk tales and especially by biblical supernaturalism.”

This author hopes that all readers might see the inherent spiritual truths of Jonah, sense its deep message for humankind, and recognize its important portrayal of the character of God and his purpose. There are important lessons in this small book. One needs to realize that the “fish” is a relatively minor part of the story, mentioned in only three verses. R. T. Kendall is on target in stating, “The Book of Jonah is one of the most relevant books for the present time.” Its message is abidingly relevant for the modern-day reader.

One for Jonah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit