A film about Jonah

by Sergey Antonov 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Sergey Antonov
    Sergey Antonov

Who has any thoughts about the new film about the prophet Jonah? How could they divide the entire period into days, if the Bible does not say so? The king ordered them to fast 20 days before the destruction ???! 🤔 Well, if they could not even drink water, then they had to die from dehydration.

• Deltawave
    Deltawave

I saw it last week, I think it clearly shows how impossible the whole scenario was and how Jonah MUST have been suffering from some kind of schizophrenia and paranoia.

The fact that nothing happened to Ninivah clearly shows there was never a judgement to start with, other than in his mind. And then he MUST have had hallucinations of the plant growing and dying from dehydration or something.

He could not have survived in a fish for 3 days without food, air or water.

It was sad to see so many people around the venue, take it so seriously

• Sergey Antonov
    Sergey Antonov

And a video where Jehovah's Witnesses are in the field (50 people) and Jesus is flying from above. What is it???! 🤔

• molybdenum
    molybdenum

Well I guess that is one point of view. I probably would agree if it was not for Jesus himself referring to the account.

Matthew 12:40 New International Version (NIV)

40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

So this must give some credence to the story. I am not sure if I agree on the way the movie depicted Jonah but I was entertained by it. There were some kind of "comedy" relief parts to it.

So whether we are critiquing the movie per se or whether we are discussing /discounting the account of Jonah that is in the Bible record as pure fiction are two different things.

• waton
    waton
    "--So this must give some credence to the story.--" molybdenum

holy moly, To the contrary, it totally discredits "Jesus" for having endorsed such an account.

Of course he was good at shrivelling plants too.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Can anyone say "Fairytale" ?

• Half banana
    Half banana

Fairytale!

• Half banana
    Half banana

But a fairytale with brass knobs.

The trope of "three days dead" was a signifyer for a Sun God in ancient literature, later applied to any hero who descends to hell and returns, think Ulysses, three days dead, and Orpheus going to see Eurydice in Hades for example.

Since the sun metaphorically dies for three and a half days at the winter solstice and metaphorically comes back to life again by virtue of the points at which the sun rises and sets having stopped for this period of time, on Christmas day start moving north again on the east horizon (the rebirth of the Sun God)

To attribute this "three days dead" experience to Jesus was to award him the mantle of divine glory as a super-hero. This was a necessary move on the part of the Jesus cult to have this included in scripture because earlier "Christ" literature gave no personal name, just the title; The Christ.

But hey! the more ancient fables which are retold by JW org as if they were true, the more JWs there will be who will wake up, join us and leave the cult to stew in it own ignorant juice. How anyone can see a divine hand at work in last years story of Lot and his daughters, beats me.

• JWTom
    JWTom

The videos that have come out at convention the last few years are very sensational/fear inciting and are intended to impact people's emotion. Video is much more personal and impactful than lectures. The ending video this year really served no purposes but to make people feel like they will be saved at the last minute. That was the only point, there was really nothing learned from the video other than to create an emotional response.

• Sergey Antonov
    Sergey Antonov

The most interesting thing is that with Jonah's help one can explain the delay of Armageddon. Allegedly, Jehovah had pity on the world and had not destroyed it, but then, like Nenevi, it would necessarily destroy. In this is visible his loving hand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit