Do you believe that this life is all there is

by Fisherman 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

No. I don't believe that this life is all there is. Thankfully. I don't want to live in a world without hope!

• Biahi
    Biahi

Has anyone read the book, entitled Heaven is for Real? It’s about a boy named Colton Burpo, who died at age 4, due to a burst appendix. He was dead for about 4 or 5 minutes. When he was revived by the doctors, they claimed it was a miracle. His dad was fervently praying for him at that time, and Jesus told him he had to go back. Over a period of time, his parents realized he had truly been in heaven. For instance, his mother had a miscarriage before he was born. They never mentioned this event to him, yet he told his parents he had met her there. Quite an interesting read.

• WokenfromJWcult
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Yes, MeanMrMustard, I gggsadfsuywisdpmxbvsm {system error}

Nathan 🤦🏻‍♀️😂😂😂

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Correct me if I am wrong. According to the Bible the only reason why humans die is because of the sin of disobedience by Adam & Eve ? And that when a person dies he/she has paid the price " the wages sin pays is death" Rom.6:23

So if that was the only reason a person dies anyone who has died and been resurrected should never die again ?

But that`s not the case is it , so the Bible must be wrong. IMHO.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Fisherman, I do not believe there is an afterlife. I very strongly believe that this life is all there is. I disbelieve the Bible's claims that someone supernatural exists, that something supernatural exists, that something supernatural happened, that supernatural events happen, and that supernatural events will happen. I think that in some cases (probably even in many cases) that the Bible writers were sincere in teaching a resurrection and the existence of the supernatural, but that they were in error in having those views. A number of times even when I was an active JW I had doubts that there would be a resurrection to life. A number of times even when I was an active JW I doubted that eternal life for humans (whether in heaven or on Earth) will ever be real.

Biahi
    I have seen copies of the book called Heaven Is for Real by pastor Todd Burpo and by Lynn Vincent, but I don't believe the book's claims that the boy actually went to heaven (though I believe that the authors might be sincere in the making the claims). An article at Psychology Today , by a professor of psychology, presents a skeptical analysis of the book. The article says in part the following.

"... Colton never died; according to the movie, his heart never stopped beating and his brain never stopped functioning. Since according to the modern Christian understanding, one’s soul doesn’t leave one’s body until one dies, the idea that Colton’s soul went to a Christian heaven is inconsistent with a modern Christian understanding of persons and death—a view it seems the Burpos endorse."

The writer of the article even states what the view of the authors of the OT regarding Sheol and regarding Paul's view of resurrection, and that such conflicts with the idea of a conscious human soul leaving the fleshly body. In part the professor says the following in the article about the views of the OT authors and of Paul.

"Those authors did not have the dualist understanding of persons that modern Christians like the Burpos endorse; those authors did not conceive of a person as a body and a soul, and they certainly didn't think that your soul separates from your body upon death to enter heaven. For example, the Old Testament authors had a monistic view of a person—a person is made of a single substance—and thought people (bad or good) went to Sheol when they die—a place beneath the ground where the dead simply sleep. (One does not experience Sheol.) For a special person like Elijah to not suffer such a fate and instead enter heaven, one's body must be physically taken there. The apostle Paul, as a Jew, would have been working with a similar understanding and in fact endorses such an understanding in his writings."

In the article the professor also says the following. "If you have to make excuses that are immune to evidence to save your theory from the evidence, that's likely because your theory is false. When making a claim about what has occurred in the world, the first thing a rational hypothesis needs to be is testable. But ad hoc excuses make hypotheses un-testable."
  • Gman2001
    Gman2001

I believe the words of Jesus .....that there is a life to come.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit