What phobias do you have?

by stuckinarut2 36 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So this is just a general question. Call it curiosity.

What sort of phobias do we have? Heights? Crowds? Etc...

This thought was spurred by something I heard on the radio about a phobia called Trypophobia. (Google it if you dare)

It freaks some people out, while others are not bothered...

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Trypophobic-inducing images: https://www.ranker.com/list/find-out-if-you-have-trypophobia-/brian-gilmore

I have a phobia of elders, "shepherding" visits and Judicial Committees. But that's a given.

And seizures. If I even see footage of someone lapsing into a seizure, I shut down and go into shock. I'd say this is more PTSD after witnessing a horrific seizure of a loved one back in 2012. Just watching a seizure occur even in a movie makes my blood suddenly run cold, flooding my insides with the same feelings of terror, fear and horror I experienced five years ago.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Cars. I control my phobia to moving cars (have to, living in cities most of my life). I still am extra careful crossing streets, though.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Death.

Now that I'm 99.99999r% certain there is no god or afterlife, I fear the moments before death.

Bloody well petrifies me.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

The mail man. Seriously. I have had lot of bad news over the years via the mail. So now when the mail man comes I feel incredibly nauseous, to the point I want to be sick. Every single day. I can't break it.

And the worst one of all. Crane Flies. (that's what we call them in the U.K) Long legged flying evil things. When I was in primary school, boys would catch them and shove them down the back of girls dresses. Traumatized me for life. if there is one in the house, I will have a major meltdown. My family think it's hilarious.

• Onager
    Onager

You'd get on well with my dog Phoebe. She has very firm ideas about postmen and how they should be barked off the planet if at all possible!

I thought I had arachnophobia, but as an expert at Exmoor zoo pointed out, if I really did have arachnophobia I would not have stayed in the same room as him and the tarantula that he was holding. I guess that what I have is just a strong aversion therefore.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Pheebs - I used to be a postie....not a daddy long legs....just a postie.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Not all spiders...just the deadly ones.

Since I live in Brazil, this means the Brazilian Wandering Spider: as big as a tarantula but with fast motion and reflexes. Very aggressive too! They are found in my city but we haven't crossed paths yet.

I'll probably faint when we do hehehehe.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Trypophobia is not an actual phobia. The American Psychiatric Association does not recognize it as legitimate, because so far not one single case has been reported of an actual fear of seeing a series of holes. There is a huge difference between being grossed out by it and being so terrified of it that it affects your ability to function normally around it. The latter is how a phobia is defined.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Something closer to an actual phobia would be how I cannot go within 5 or 6 feet of an active smoke alarm. I am so afraid of them that I will NOT go near or even touch one, even to change the batteries. As long as there are batteries in it, even dead batteries, I WILL NOT GO NEAR IT. EVER. The only smoke alarm that doesn't scare me is one that is still sealed in its original package.

Same with pool drains. I will NEVER swim anywhere near one, not even if it's in the deep end and it's 12 feet below me. Nope nope nope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit