Out Witnessing

by NotFormer 22 Replies latest social humour

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    NF It is indeed educational. I always thought nonce was like "nong" in Australia, someone who's not very bright. I didn't realise that it had a very specific and very negative definition.

We say Nong in the UK too.

As a teen I learnt the term "Drongo" which was a very popular term in London at the time, the Ozzie's brought over with them. They used it to mean a sort of lazy idiot...it was a rather snobby term, really, though. The real meaning (I'm told) is from Sheep shearing stations and is a piece of poo in the wool?? That got imbedded on the woman shearers boobs?!!😝😂 Is that so?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Regarding the sheep pooh, I think that you are thinking of a "dagg" which is literally what you said, encrusted sheep pooh hanging onto a sheep's fleece. The New Zealand comedian, John Clarke, became famous in NZ as a character named "Fred Dagg". He had a hit in NZ with a version of Billy Connolly's "If it Weren't for Your Wellies", but being NZ, it was "If it Weren't for Your Gumboots". So yes, a dagg is a pretty low class, scruffy individual, probably with bad hygiene! 😁

A drongo is a bird native to North Australia; the slang term had pretty well the same meaning as "nong". 😁 I doubt that the bird was particularly stupid; the term probably came about just because it sounds kind of dumb. 😸

I believe there is some of Fred Dagg's stuff preserved on YouTube. He was a pretty funny character. John Clarke eventually moved to Australia, like a lot of NZ entertainers, because the NZ market tends to be a bit small.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Smiddy: if aliens were real, then a lot of things would have to be reconsidered. An alien 👽 that can do interstellar travel is hardly going to be frightened by the threat of Armageddon to the population of Earth 🌎🌍! 🙄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit