JW's are S.O.B's

by James Mixon 33 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I didn't say it, it was the president...

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I remember not standing for the national anthem as a JW. I was a SOB and is one of the few things I regret in my life. Now, it is hard to stand for the national anthem without shedding a few tears. I love this country and am embarrassed by my past action.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Newyork, i feel exactly the same. Everytime im at a ball game now i stand proudly and clap loudly when its over

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

me too, but we were not giving worship to a flag or country. I don't know what these clowns are protesting now, most of them are role models for the thugs they decry.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I'm not a great anthem standing sentimentalist, and I think the 1st amendment plays a major role in this scenario.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/veterans-and-retired-nfl-players-speak-about-anthem-protests-and-controversy/478589274

• compound complex
    compound complex

I still cannot get the reasoning behind standing for the flag salute (not saluting, however) but remaining seated for the anthem.

My junior high school teacher sure gave me hell when I didn't salute the flag in class. I was only a Bible "study," and it wasn't my Bible teacher who told me not to salute the flag. It was something I had read in Mom's Awake!

The sad episode ended with my being forced to apologize to my school teacher (I was 13 years old) and my parents terminating my Bible study.

• longgone
    longgone

I'm sorry that happened CC.

it was so embarrassing to stand in the classroom saying nothing while everyone else was saying the pledge. 😕

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, longgone, for your comforting words. Sounds like you know what I'm talking about!

Take care.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    I didn't say it, it was the president...

President Trump? I missed the remark. Can you give more background?

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

If my mind serves me correctly, I am sure it says in the branch correspondence guidelines or the elders secret hand book -shepherd the flock of God- that it is acceptable to stand for the national anthem out of respect, but not to take part by singing.

I remember being peeved when I read this as I had a couple of embarrassing situations when the national anthem was played on some nights out. All the witnesses remained seated and we all looked like a bunch of disrespectful assholes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit