I saw a JW Elder at X-Men 2 Movie this weekend!!

by WingCommander 42 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

When my husband was an elder and on a shepherding call, was instructed by the other elder to check the videos in the cabinets, even opening the door. My husband refused but it made him think about the Big Brother tactics being used.

He said the CO instructed the elders that they were not to be going to R-rated movies or renting/buying R-rated videotapes. The CO gave a talk about R-rated movies on cable channels and that were not edited enough to make them acceptable to a "real" Christian.

I personally think each individual is capable of making their own choice.

But note the manipulative comments in this WT:

*** w82 7/15 24 Benefiting From Your God-given Conscience ***

13 Consider the experience of a couple who were having a Bible study, attending meetings and approaching baptism. An elder in the congregation told the man of his having enjoyed a certain motion picture. The man replied, ‘What! Do you go to see R-rated movies?’ The elder tried to excuse his actions, saying that certain of these films (considered questionable even by the world) have value if the objectionable aspects are ignored. But it appears that the man was affected. After that he progressed more slowly than his wife. Had the elder reflected on texts such as Colossians 3:2-8, Ephesians 5:3-5 and Matthew 7:12, they might have affected his conscience and his conduct.—1 Corinthians 9:22, 25-27.

In the United States films rated R are deemed unsuitable for persons under age seventeen (unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian) because of the theme or the degree of sex, violence or profanity.

Blondie

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

One additional point I wanted to make, it is another silliness to make a distinction between mediums. I am thinking in terms of making a distinction between film and literature.

Literature very often has a greater affect, after all it requires "active imagination" instead of passive viewing.

So my point is this: If you were to make a MOVIE of the Bible as the events are exactly portrayed in the passages of the bible what MPAA rating do you think that movie would get?

something to think about.

Eduardo

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

It used to make me really angry when I would hear about another jw seing a rated R movie. Here I was trying so hard to live up to the JW rules and regulations, and yet certain ones would have no problem with it! And when these certain people saw these movies, but seemed to be so self righteous in other areas it burned me up!

Blondie, it was interesting to hear your story about your husband being told to look for rated R movies. When a couple brothers came to talk to me about three years ago, I later heard that one of them made a comment about me having rated R videos in plain view. First of all I thought what a prick, looking at my videos, standing in judgement over me. Then I started to chuckle, because thing is, I didn't even have any rated R movies in my collection! I didn't even watch rated R movies til I was well ut the JW door! Guess it was just his way of making it look like I was terrible association or something.

Funny, some of the movies that are my elder brother in law favorites, are rated R. This is because he hails from England, and some of the movies that are rated 15 over there, are rated R here.Two movies that come to mind are "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" and "Good Morning Vietnam", both rated R in America, but only 15 in England.America seems to be a little stricter when it comes to nudity or language. I got he and my sister to watch "Amelie", which for the life of me I can't see why it hs to be R and not PG-13, and they loved it. Go figure.

• DIM
    DIM

Reborn,

You didn't make me look like a fool...my opinion isn't the same as yours. I think your anger at JW's is making YOU a fool. You were once in the cult of JW, now you are in the cult of XJW's...not much of a difference as far as I can see. Think positive thoughts - you made the choice to be in the religion, now you made the choice to be out of the religion. This forum serves as a sort of comedic relief to my wife and I...everyone has to move on, don't you think?

Jason

• undercover
    undercover
    So my point is this: If you were to make a MOVIE of the Bible as the events are exactly portrayed in the passages of the bible what MPAA rating do you think that movie would get?

I remember when we studied the Greatest Man book at the book study the first go round. As we got to the later chapters covering Jesus' arrest, trial and execution, I remember thinking that Jesus life and death story would make a great movie if done properly. But then it hit me. Witnesses would not be able to see it because it would have to rated R. To portray the demonic people possessed, Lazarus waking from the dead and walking out of the tomb. Jesus' arrest and trial, including the torture and violence. And finally the excruciating details of his death. The mere emotional aspect of it would grant it an R rating in the States. Yet we read this week in and week out at the meetings. Should we not shield our children from this?

If it's rated R then children maybe shouldn't watch it. Depends on the child. But because it's R doesn't mean it's bad as pointed out in an earlier post. It means its adult oriented. The language is worse. There may be nude scenes. The violence may be more disturbing. Or maybe it is just a mature subject matter. Take Schindler's List. Rated R. Mature subject matter. But an important lesson to be learned. This was not gratutious violence for violence sake. There was not nudity for nudity sake. Are we to ignore this movie because of it's rating? Not me. This was in important movie for me to watch. There is where a conscience comes in. But the WTS has taken the conscience out of the decison for the witnesses. They pretend to make their decisions for them.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

There are quite a few movies about Jesus.

I wont watch them becuase they depict Jesus as an acid tripping hippie

• riz
    riz

hey Mike-

that's not Jesus. it's Pauly Shore.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    You didn't make me look like a fool.. my opinion isn't the same as yours.

This is not a matter of opinion. This is a question of you making apologetic excuses and outright false statements regarding the belief system of Jehovah's Witnesses. I called you on it, I provided documentation showing that you were wrong, and instead of acknowledging it you play bait-and-switch by claiming it is now a matter of opinions.

I think your anger at JW's is making YOU a fool.

Anger? Your damned right. Seeing my grandfather devote 50 years of his life to a lie. Seeing the remainder of my family remain Jehovah's Witnesses and disown me and treat me as dead solely because I choose to not remain in their religion. Seeing a nephew be born and raised into the cult and taught that I am evil and destined for destruction.. ya damn right I am angry.

You were once in the cult of JW, now you are in the cult of XJW's...not much of a difference as far as I can see.

A cult of XJW's? Now you are reaching. I have not met anyone in person on this board. Nor do I possess an interest to join any group or affiliation. The key is that as an XJW I choose to be informed about the hypocricies and contradictions found within Watchtower policies and doctrine, and in turn expose the religion for the fraud and destructive cult that it is... thereby aiding other people from ever having to suffer as I have. If you cannot see a difference, then you are truly DIM.

Think positive thoughts - you made the choice to be in the religion, now you made the choice to be out of the religion. This forum serves as a sort of comedic relief to my wife and I...everyone has to move on, don't you think?

Again, I advise your DIMwitted self to not open your mouth until you know what your talking about. I had no choice in the religion. If you took the time to read my profile before rushing to judgment, you would know I was "born" into the Jehovah's Witnesses with parents and grandparents who were all members. I never had a choice, and was threatened with being kicked out of my home if I did not conform. When I was old enough to use deductive reasoning and determine the fallacies in WT doctrine and the lies that the JW perpetuate and you by your statements apologize for, I took a stand for my beliefs despite losing everything I had ever known and left the JW's.

So, all in all, again you make yourself out to be slow in comprehension. I have laid the facts out on the table and you willfully ignore them. Next time I highly suggest you get your FACTS in order before rushing to judgment and stating opinions.

Have a nice day.

• DIMs Wife
    DIMs Wife

Reborn -

I'm under my wife's account at work...I wish you nothing but peace and happiness. I went through the angry phase too in my de-programming. Good luck -

Jason

[email protected]

• Swan
    Swan

Maybe they are starting to relax their standards a bit. That's a good thing. They were way too strict for far too many years. Remember, this is the religion that banned smurfs from their little kids. Now X-Men mutants evolving is okay for elders setting an example... at least until a Wolverine doll runs screaming out of a Kingdom Hall.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit