I saw a JW Elder at X-Men 2 Movie this weekend!!

by WingCommander 42 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

JW's to Hollywood:

"You're gonna die since you're part of Satan's World (tm).

But, we like your movies, keep the PG-13's coming, mama said we're allowed!! And it sure is nice to get a 2 hour escape from this mind-numbing religious life we have to endure!"

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Wow, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Why don't you just shoot all the Witnesses you see.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Hey DIM, your name suits you well. When it comes to knowledge of the Jehovah's Witnesses and their practices, your mental faculties obviously are DIM.

You erroneously state:

I think you guys are pulling at strings here, nobody in the society has come out and said anything against either the first X-Men or its sequel. In fact, when I was an active JW I saw the first X-Men w/ my mom (a regular pioneer) and my dad (a ministerial servant). you guys need to get a life. your negativity and picking apart things is worse than the people in the cult!

If you were a Jehovah's Witness, you know damn well they do not specifically state certain movies to avoid. They instead subtly state not to view all R-rated movies or films with gratuitious violence, like X-Men. With Jehovah's Witnesses one must read between the lines and comprehend what rules are being projected even if not specifically stated.

I submit to you the following. This is a talk outline I still possess from giving a 15-minute part on the Theocratic Ministry School. Please note the portion I have highlighted in yellow for your convenience.

Be Peaceable With All Men --a 15-minute talk about peace

Throughout this entire century, people have searched for peace like never before. At the same time, though, this century has also been the most peaceless in history. It has seen the advent of the machine gun, the atomic bomb, the hydrogen bomb, the smart bomb, along with two world wars and over 100 million deaths directly due to war. Our of one corner of their mouths, governments sign peace treaties, but out of the other, they develop new, more efficient ways of destroying peace. Little wonder, then, why peace does not exist today.

But really, no matter how badly the governments want peace, they're not going to get it, no matter how hard they try. Why? The answer lies in the Bible, at Galatians chapter 5. Won't you open there along with me? Galatians 5:22, 23. And we will read why the governments will never attain peace:

On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

So the Bible tells us that peace is a quality that comes only to those who have God's spirit. And since these governments are not in God's favor, they don't have God's spirit or blessing. Therefore, they will never attain peace. Peace only comes to those who have God's spirit. Isn't that interesting? Now that explains why Jehovah's Witnesses have peace today, because they have God's spirit. In fact, in times of war, it's often reported that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones who peacefully refrain from sharing in the war effort. In Nazi Germany, it was only Jehovah's Witnesses who were persecuted because of their peaceful neutrality. No one else, not the Jews, not the Catholics, no one. Only Jehovah's Witnesses. Well, that tells us a few things, doesn't it? First, it tells us that only Jehovah's Witnesses have God's spirit. Secondly, it tells us that we should want to continue in that peaceful spirit-directed course.

And that's what we're going to talk about this evening, is how to be peaceable with our neighbors. Because peace is more than the mere absence of conflict. That's certainly a major part of it, but there are also other things involved, too.

No doubt the apostle Paul realized this, and so he wrote the words at Romans 12:18, which we'd like to read:

If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men.

So the Romans were being advised to be peaceable. Now, this counsel takes on an even greater meaning when we consider who wrote it. It was the Apostle Paul, a man who had spent most of his life being not peaceable. If fact, he was known for stirring up trouble for Christians, even sharing in the murder of the faithful man Stephen. But he changed his ways, and now he was able to see the situation from 'both sides of the fence,' as it were. And he preferred being peaceable, and he was recommending this course to the people of Rome. Now, Rome was never known as an especially peace-loving place either, though, was it? Think about the lack of peace that those Roman Christians had to put up with, very similar to what we have to put up with.

This evening we're briefly going to consider three ways in which we can be more peaceable people. There are many more, but if we work on these three facets, it will make all the difference in the world.

Now, the first way can be found in the book of proverbs, at Proverbs 14:30. Let's read that as a congregation.

A calm heart is the life of the fleshly organism, but jealousy is rottenness to the bones.

So we must have a calm heart. That means we can't be easily provoked. And you may say, "Well, that's really hard to do." And that is true. So that's why we have to work on it. The people of the world generally do not have calm hearts. Every little thing irks them. They get caught up in traffic, so they give in to "road rage", as its called, and they throw up their arms, and they lay on the horn, and they say a few choice words. But peaceable people don't do that. Peaceable people are calm, and they are patient. We don't give in to "fits of anger," we don't lose our temper. Remember, that's a work of the flesh, in direct opposition to Godly peace. Even when our family or a member of the congregation makes us angry, we don't lose our temper. And when a problem does arise, we can handle it like the Bible says, approaching that one peacefully and resolving the matter, as soon as we can, preferable, before the day is over.

There are many of us who have had to work hard on this matter, and many of us are still working on it. But the verse in Proverbs that we read tells us that there's an added bonus that comes along with being calm and patient. The verse said that it's the life of the fleshly organism. Now, we're considered with the spiritual aspects of the matter, but this verse tells us that it also has fleshly, or physical, benefits, too. And science has confirmed that. Calm people are happier, healthier, and live longer than the more aggressive type, which tend to have higher blood pressure, higher stress levels, depression, and a long list of other undesirables. So being calm and patient will help make us more peaceful people.

The second way in which we can be more peaceable is by not being argumentative.And once again, that's hard to do, especially since the world is based upon conflicts and arguments. Everyone has an opinion, and they have to let it be heard. And many are convinced that their opinion on a mater is the only right one, and they're set on convincing you of that, too.

But we shouldn't be arguers, as a general rule. We try to share the good news with others, and we try to use persuasion in doing so, but we don't argue with people anymore over doctrinal points. And why is that? Because you can't win an argument! By arguing with someone, you're not going to convince them about anything, because their mind is already set. And at home, in the congregation, in public, we shouldn't argue, especially when it comes to opinions, because on matters of conscience or opinions, each one is entitled to his own idea, without having to argue for it.

Probably the best example of this is Jesus Christ. Notice, in Mark chapter 15, what Jesus does when he is being provoked with an interrogation. Pilate is trying to get him to argue, but notices what Jesus does, in Mark 15, verses 4 and 5.

Now Pilate began questioning him again, saying, "Have you no reply to make? See how many charges they are bringing against you." But Jesus made no further answer, so that Pilate began to marvel.

Jesus stayed quiet. He stayed calm. He didn't argue. And won't you agreee that if there was anyone who could have won an argument, it would have been the world's best speaker, Jesus? But his calmness and demeanor impressed Pilate. And when we peacefully refrain from arguing with people, it, too, will impress honesthearted ones as well as add peace to our lives.

The third way in which we can add peace to our lives is by rejecting violence. And that's really just common sense, isn't it? But only a minority today reject violence. But you see, violence is a very serious matter in God's eyes. In fact, if you open your Bibles to Genesis 6:11, you'll see just how serious it is.

And the earth came to be ruined in the sight of the true God and the earth became filled with violence.

And a similar sentiment is expressed in verses 12 and 13 of that same chapter. Jehovah viewed the earth as ruined in Noah's day, but did you notice why? Because of the violence! The violence was the 'straw that broke the camel's back,' as it were. God destroyed that ancient world because of its violence.

And the exact same thing is happening today. Revelation 11:18 tells us that in these last days, the earth is once again being ruined. And once again, God says he is going to destroy these violent people who are ruining the earth. But Jehovah is not just going to destroy violent people. The book of Psalms describes another class of people who are also in line for destruction. To find out who they are, please read Psalm 11:5 with me.

Jehovah himself examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one, and anyone loving violence his soul certainly hates.

Who does Jehovah hate? The one loving violence. Notice that the verse didn't say "the one who is violent my soul hates," but it says "the one loving violence." So that includes more than just people who actually engage in violence. In fact, the ones being described here are not necessarily violent people. But they love violence. And won't you agree that most people today love violence? Although most people don't go around killing people or directly participate in violent acts, most people do like to watch it and be entertained by it. Violence on TV and at the movies is in high demand. That's why so much of today's entertainment is the way it is--because people want to see violence, they love violence. But remember, Jehovah hates those who love violence. So, if we want God's favor, we're going to have to reject all of those 'action' movies and violent television programs, violent video games, violent books and novels. And by our manner of speech and conduct, we will show the world we are nonviolent people who reject even the thought of being entertained by violence.

Well, what type of people will we become if we do these three things while we keep on praying for God's holy spirit? Please open to Philippians 4:6, 7 for the answer.

Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.

So, if we have God's blessing, we'll have peace, but not just any peace. Not the kind of 'peace' that they governments say they can attain, that is, a few years without a major war. No! We can have peace in our hearts, a peace that excels all thought. Yes, may all of us cultivate this godly quality of peace and live to see the day when true peace prevails at last among everyone!

What lame excuse do you have now hotshot? Or shall I go dig up further quotation from Watchtower literature to make you look like an idiot? Open your mouth only when you know what your talking about.

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

You guys need to live in the real world. I know a PO that's an absolute Star Wars freak! There are a whole bunch of other elders that are into SF movies as well. Give me a break with the polemics.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Hey Pork Chop-

Give me a break. StarWars? A movie about mysticism.. with wizards wielding an invisible power known as The Force and swords while cutting each other up into smithereens? Let's be real. This is a classic example of Jehovah's Witnesses BEING HYPOCRITES. Their literature clearly states to avoid unclean practices such as engaging and enjoying entertainment which promotes violence or mysticism.

Did you even read what I posted above or did you decide to post and spout off before educating yourself?

Learn the facts, then comment.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Gotta agree in part with pork chop. I know many elders that enjoy Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond etc. Anything PG-13 is basically legit, with the notable exception of say, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter which were mentioned by name repeatedly, simply because maybe too many witnesses would look at the rating and say, must be ok. Is this being hypcritical? Maybe... But it would take a pretty anal elder to come down on someone for going to one of these films. Most elders wouldn't give it a second thought, regardless of what is said in the Watchtower.

• jimbob
    jimbob

Years ago at a circuit assembly, the CO had a part on being separate from the world. He specifically mentioned not going to movies that were "unwholesome". But the part that stuck in my mind was how he said PG-13 stood for Pure Garbage to the 13th Power. So not only is "R" off limits, but now PG-13 is a big "NO-NO" as well. Of course, I knew of servants that saw "R' rated movies all the time.

Again, the hypocrisy is so rampant in the organization, it's sickening. I've had said many times on this board how their hypocrisy is one of the main reasons why my wife and I left the borg. Even my mother, who is a die-hard JW, told me that she realizes all the hypocrisy in the org. But still she goes to meetings. How sad indeed! It's amazing how so many JW's don't practice what they supposedly preach. What a truly sad religion!!

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

I steer clear from violent entertainment.......that's why I don't read the bible anymore...too much violence!

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

if comic books are considered BAD, why would they attend a movie with characters that have supernatural powers. I remember being told as a child that I couldn't keep my comic book collection because they glorified SATAN. How pathetic is that ? I am 35, I left (broke out of prison) 17 years ago, and live has not been better. I have been shunned by family and other Jo-Ho's. How could anybody get caught up in this crap. Best questions to ask your local Jo-Ho ...... 1) if all Russel's and Rutherfords work was misinterperted and has no meaning today, then 60 years from now, will the information out today be useless as well ?????

2) if the governing body is the absolute truth, then why has there never been a black person (til now) on the governing body, let alone a Chinese, Middle Eastern, Pakistani, Russian, Asian, South American. Does Jehovah God only favor WHITE Americans only ?????? (this statement is NOT meant to offend any American, I love the USA and the people) I find it odd though that this is all that is ever on the governing body.

3) If the bible states " for the end is coming like a thief in the night, no one knows the day nor the hour". Why does the governing body continue to make predictions and have this fascination with numbers, 1914, 1925, 1931, 1935, 1944, 1975, 2000. What's next, well if they keep guessing they are bound to get it right one day.

4) If God is great and knows all, Why do the rules keep changing for Jo-Ho's ?????? I don't have enough room to list all the examples.

If you are stuck in the organization and thinking about leaving, for job related issues (because you can't work during the meetings, kind of limits your opportunities), having a girlfriend (because if she is not a JO-HO, then you are doomed unless you convince her to become one, and why ruin someone else's life.), or just because you want to live life. My advice to you is RUN don't WALK. And the sooner you do it, the better you will feel. Once you have been away from it for awhile you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

love to hear response !!!!!!!!!!!!

• archangel01
    archangel01

to Dim,

If everyone from a hall blows off door to door to see x-men 2, then at the next meeting everyone has to here about it. It's true, it has happen with other movies. I bet you any money aleast one hall is getting shit for the dud's about this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit