Email from JW relative/elder

by Lynnie 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JannyG
    JannyG

I'm new here.

They are Gaslighting. Trying to shove their decision on how to treat you onto you. Stupid things they tell themselves.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    So we will always be there for you and Pete, but it is in your hands as to how we can enjoy your friendship.I know the word on the street is that we are "shunning" - that is not our term, nor is it kind.
    We don't take our relationship with you as our cousin lightly.

Dear Cousin,

Thank you for your seemingly kind, albeit confusing letter.

At first I was happy to hear that you will always be there for us and just as you've done with your sister all these years, you won't be shunning us simply because we are not the same religion as you.

But you are the one who can open that door of association by returning to Jehovah. It's our prayer that you do this Lynn. You are a very dear relation of ours.

Then later on you said that you've prayed to Jehovah regarding our religious choices and unless he answers your prayer and causes us to see things the same way you do, the door of association with you will be closed.

This confuses me. If Jehovah doesn't answer your prayer, isn't that an indication that your request was improper and/ or he approves of the choices we have made in regard to our personal relationship with him?

Could it also indicate that you are taking your personal opinions too seriously in this matter and are not leaving things up to him to handle as he sees fit ?

If I were to show up at your place of work and introduce myself as your cousin and showed your co-workers this letter, what would they think of you? Would they be impressed by what you've said to me and be drawn to the Watchtower organization or would they view you as a judgmental self-righteous religious fanatic who is attempting to intervene in his cousins personal relationship with God?

Your actions remind me the harsh way Jesus Disciples (weak immature humans) acted at times in their ministry when Jesus himself (the son of God with real authority), shepherded the flock with loving kindness. Please re-read your letter and ask yourself what the real motive for doing such an unkind thing like that was. Who authorized you to mete out punishment to others on behalf of God? Is your relationship with God and his Holy Spirit so weak that my occasional presence could somehow sway you from your resolve to serve him?

It is my hope that you reconsider what you've said to me but at this point, I view your letter as confirmation that my decision to leave the organization was the right thing to do. I hope you are prepared to answer to Jehovah for that.

Agape'

Your Cousin

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Pete Zanhut, great letter, where is a good place to interject the eff-uue as suggested earlier?

• LV101
    LV101

"his wonderful loving organization" -- are you serious!! The most evil org I've ever been around and all in the name of a god that only approves of people under the spell of following men of corruption.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome jannyG ,we look forward to hearing your story and more from your input when you are ready.

That was a good letter Pete though I`m afraid it will fall on deaf ears.

I think that scripture Ps 115:5-6a A mouth they have but they cannot speak, Eyes they have but they cannot see,Ears they have but they cannot hear....TTATT.

O.K. if they can take scriptures out of context then so can I ,its called Spiritual Warfare .

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    This cousin however has a normal relationship with his sister who was a JW but has been "inactive" for 50 years, celebrates all the worldly holidays etc. but somehow it's totally okay for him to have association with her. Hmmmm

Hey Cuz,

I completely respect your decision to shun us.

But just to be clear, we have no issue whatsoever spending time with you, so any barriers to do so are 100% on your side. Do me one favor, though. After doing a quick search on the WT library of the word "shun" be sure to make clear to your sister whether or not you "shun" next time you hang out with her, given her spiritual status. (Matt 23:27)

• Biahi
    Biahi

Pete Zahut, and respectful observer, great letters!!

• iwasblind
    iwasblind

Yes you are so cruel to call it shunning. And how could you turn your back on them!

What rubbish. So sorry you have this pain in your heart. We are not DF'd but are still shunned by some family.

We kind of had to grieve it like a death of a relationship.

Regardless, sending you peace and love if that helps.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Just recalling some dialogue with my own JW parents some years ago.

Them: "You chose to leave Jehovah's witnesses!"

Me: "I didn't choose to be raised as one!"

• dozy
    dozy
    These letters / emails ( of which like many I also have received a few when I stopped attending ) always seem to me to be very self indulgent. I can never really understand what the motive of the sender is. Do they seriously think that it will "shock the person to their senses" and they come rushing back , tail between their legs , into the Org. Or are they just trying to give some degree of self justification? I just don't really get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit