Since God is Love…

by blubberyk9 50 Replies latest members private

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

EverApostate,

The more amazing the Holy One became the sacrifice. And notice, the Aztecs sacrifices did not take away sins any more than the animal sacrifices of the Levites

• blubberyk9
    blubberyk9

The assumption that God required a perfect sacrifice is based on inherited sin. I do not agree that God accuses me of sin based on a distant relative of mine. We are each accountable for ourselves. How do you know that imperfect was not a design? Again, this is relying on the story of Adam and Eve as though it were absolutely true. I am sorry, but the Bible's account has a lot of problems. We are saved by faith; not by sacrifice.

Food for thought: If God wanted to experience imperfection, would He not do that best by creating the opportunity through the experience of imperfect beings?

I do not agree that Armageddon is going to happen. I do not agree that a planet-wide flood occurred because God wanted to destroy so much humanity. That would not be a God of Love, would it?

Jesus taught us about a God of Love. That is why I have the assumption that God is Love.

Thank you!!

• cofty
    cofty

Blubbery - Your answers don't work. Please take a minute to reflect rather than spouting facile platitudes

1.This earth has always had weather. How can weather have a moral rating? Without intent, it just cannot have a moral issue.

Tsunamis have nothing at all to do with weather. They are caused by an earthquake under the ocean. God designed the planet with tectonic plates that not only move but get stuck. They build up pressure over centuries until they suddenly break free. When this happened on Boxing day 2004 under the Asian Ocean the resulting wave wiped out a quarter of a million lives in a few minutes and your 'loving god' did nothing to stop it.

2. God is not actually hidden from those who take the time to ask and listen. He has provided a channel to each of us.

Are you really so unaware of the problem of divine hiddenness? It has perplexed christian theologians for millennia and yet you dismiss it in a short sentence. What do you know that every other serious thinker has missed?

3. It would seem that humans learn best through afflictions. That does not mean all affliction is endorsed by God. However, if the intent was to produce a humanity that could know God, then it is actually through the difficulties we must overcome that we stop relying on the material and if we allow it, can strengthen our faith in God. If we never had the threat of an adversity to overcome, would we ever learn anything at all about God? Faith is the big deal here.

This paragraph is stunning in its callous disregard for the reality of suffering.

You assert that god is love. You believe that Jesus revealed god's love to mankind. He showed that love revolves around practical action on behalf of fellow creatures.

And yet god designed a world that MAXIMISES the suffering and pain of conscious creatures. Almost every creature that has ever lived perished of starvation, predation, infection, exposure, disease or parasites. Five times - before humans even existed - almost every creature on earth was wiped out in mass extinction events. For 200,000 years humans just like us have lived lives that were nasty, brutish and short.

Do you want to try again and this time see if you can come up with answers bear some connection to reality?

• blubberyk9
    blubberyk9

Cofty: I appreciate your comments. Please understand, I am here to discuss my own beliefs. I am not here to prove anything, but if I do not open myself up to the input of others, how can I ever claim that my mind is open?

It is not my intent to dismiss suffering. I am truly sorry that you took my words that way.

• cofty
    cofty
    I am here to discuss my own beliefs - Blubbery

Yes let's continue to discuss them.

You clearly dismissed the suffering of billions of conscious creatures over millions of years for the pathetic reason that you think suffering serves the purpose of your 'loving' god to produce more faith.

All your work of explaining this is still ahead of you.

• blubberyk9
    blubberyk9

I do not see a reason to worry about defending subjective beliefs. We all have them!

Thank you!!

• cofty
    cofty

In other words the idea of a loving god is nothing but your personal fantasy based on wishful thinking with no basis in reality.

Okay

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

god is love?

Well------ it depends on what the definition of is is!

just saying!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One could easily accept that Jesus was a god of love, no real debate there, the qestion that arises though was this god real or structured upon the will and human imagination expressed through fictional mythology.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    “Subjective beliefs...”

(In my best car mechanic voice): “Well there’s your problem right there.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit