Couple of real gems in the WT study for this upcoming weekend

by sir82 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIR82:

Anybody who thinks that having or pursuing a worldly career will give you ‘power or prestige’ 🙄is betraying the fact that they are not in touch with the reality of life in this day and age...What a foolish fallacy! Only somebody who lives on the moon would think this.

As most posters on this thread know, having college and career is just about supporting themselves and keeping their heads above water. It’s mostly about paying bills. Anybody who believes otherwise must be reading old comic books or something. What a joke!

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

Is pinstriping cars still a thing? I did it for a few years back in the very early 90s after leaving WTF, but I thought would be over by now.

• CovertsadJW
    CovertsadJW

A brother I knew pinstriped and chromed cars out in the lower half of the quarter panels a long time ago .....it seems so many brothers were doing similar things. I was in construction right out of high school - as were most of the brothers I knew. Damn GB, screwed up so many lives

• Annon
    Annon

Same watchtower says man cannot solve problems such as war. World wars show "man has not learned to avoid war", says the magazine. But a few watchtowers ago it was stated World War 1 and all mans problems were caused by God chucking Satan out of heaven and down to the earth in 1914, everything was great and peaceful before that. So who caused World War 1, Satan, God, man, or was it the tooth fairy?

I think the whole article was given the wrong title, it should have been called "Reject Thinking"

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Is it true that succeeding in a secular career that offers power and prestige leads to lasting happiness? No.

Playing devils advocate a bit here...when I read that question with my "weasel word" filter on and engaging "pretzel logic" they are correct. First one needs to focus less on the word career, and more on offers. By using the word offers the implication is that one has succeeded in a career strictly and only because it offered power and prestige, with those two things being the persons sole motivating reasons for their career choice.

By linking their choice of words in the manner they did it promotes the idea that ANY success, in ANY career choice is solely for selfish, power hungry look at me reasons. And power and prestige do not automatically translate into happiness.

Think of the difference there would have been in the answer had the WTB&T$ been intellectually honest in how they wrote the question. "Is it true that succeeding in a secular career that offers personal satisfaction for a job well done and is something you truly enjoy working at leads to happiness? The answer would likely be a resounding YES!

• flipper
    flipper

" Craving to control others and be admired " . Jesus. Talk about projection and the pot calling the kettle black. The Governing Body are all about wanting to control others and soaking up all the admiration and adulation from JW's that they can. Hypocrites

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I'm just trying to keep from losing what I got. I guess I have a craving to control others and long to be admired.

• sir82
    sir82

Surprised that most comments are on "gem 1" - nothing on "gem 2", which I think is the bigger jaw-dropper.

I think maybe my write-up may have been....less than clear.

Here is another attempt at #2:

For 100+ years, WT has claimed that "we know we are in the last days because wars are worse than ever, crime is worse than ever, disease is worse than ever, poverty is worse than ever..."

In this week's WT, they acknowledge (begrudgingly) that "some studies show these things are getting better".

So, not only are these things not "worse than ever", they are actually much better than they were 50 or 100 years ago. There are far fewer deaths and far less suffering from warfare, disease, crime, and poverty than in the relatively recent past.

Did Jesus say that "things getting better and better" was a sign of the "last days"?

No?

So, we must not be in the "last days" after all?

Stupid WT. Too moronic to realize their acknowledgement of improving world conditions has contradicted one of their core teachings.

• steve2
    steve2

Excellent point sir82. JW organization slips away from contrary arguments about the end. BTW, to be precise, the organization has been proclaiming the imminence of the end since the late 1870's - so that is well over 130 years.

• WeatherLover
    WeatherLover

How about this ridiculous statement from paragraph 15: "According to the World Bank, the number of those suffering extreme poverty in Africa alone has grown from 280 million in 1990 to 330 million in 2012."

Guess what else has grown? The population of Africa. Idiots. The percentage of people in poverty has dropped.

http://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/poverty/overview

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit