Couple of real gems in the WT study for this upcoming weekend

by sir82 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sir82
    sir82

Since Blondie seems to still be on sabbatical, I'll take the liberty of highlighting a couple of "gems" from this week's upcoming study, from the article "Reject Worldly Thinking".

From paragraph 12:

Is it true that succeeding in a secular career that offers power and prestige leads to lasting happiness? No. Remember that the craving to control others and the longing to be admired are the desires that enticed Satan, but he is angry, not happy.

(italics mine)

Jaw just about hit the floor when I read this.

Y'know, if I met someone who had never had any exposure to JWs, no inkling of anything WT-related, and they asked me "tell me about this group known as the governing body"....

...I literally could not come up with a better definition than "a group of 7 men who have the craving to control others and the longing to be admired."

Bonus point:

....the desires that enticed Satan, but he is angry, not happy.

Does T. Morris sound angry, or happy, when he snarls out his vitriol against "tight pants" and "spanx" and "apostates"?

Gem number 2 from paragraph 14:

Also, the idea that man can solve his own problems may sound convincing because—according to some studies—war, crime, disease, and poverty are all decreasing. One report states: “The reason humanity is getting better is because humans have decided to make the world a better place.” Does a comment like that indicate that man is coming to grips with the problems that have plagued him for so long?

Wait a minute....you're moving the goalposts!

For decades, well, for over a century, the WTS mantra has been:

"We are in the last days because: war is worse than ever before in human history, crime is worse than ever before in human history, disease is worse than ever before in human history, poverty is worse than ever before in human history."

So now - they acknowledge that things are actually improving....to bolster their argument that "man can solve mankind's problems" appears to have merit (but really doesn't as they (weakly) support in following paragraphs).

Now they're admitting - in the year 2018, warfare, crime, disease, and poverty are (a) not only not the worst it has ever been, but (b) are actually getting better.

So, does that mean the "sign of the last days" is not being fulfilled?

Idiots. Unable to hold a thought in their shriveled brains for more than 30 seconds, they don't even realize that in supporting their "reject worldly thinking" point, they have refuted 100+ years of of their own doctrine (that "we know that we are in the last days because bad stuff is worse than ever").

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Interesting thoughts, sir. Let me add something, if i may, on your first quote:

Is it true that succeeding in a secular career that offers power and prestige leads to lasting happiness? No. Remember that the craving to control others and the longing to be admired are the desires that enticed Satan, but he is angry, not happy.

along with your points, let me question even the premise in its origin.. what the hell is this idea about secular careers that leads to power and prestige? How many jobs or careers really lead to that or even appear to? Do they imagine everyone wants to be a rock star or a politician? Most peoples careers leads to a paycheck and some measure of personal satisfaction. I enjoy my job very much, aside from paying bills. I never had illusions of power, for god sake. The whole premise that anything worldly is evil and that pursuit of a career must be for some ill conceived attempt at power and fame is laughable

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

TALK ABOUT SHOOTING YOURSELF IN THE FOOT!

y.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Sometimes I swear there must be someone awake in Writing who are attempting to nudge people awake.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Lonzo, I was just thinking the same thing. Makes you wonder if the GB really ever read this stuff before its printed, surely they would catch on that it's all about them...?

Or maybe not.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I think the gb read it but it goes over their head! Lol. 99% of people just want a rewarding career that pays the bills with some fun money and time left over.

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

These are indeed gems. Gaffs like gem 1 make me wonder if they are Freudian slips or if the writing department is slipping them in, knowing that the GB doesn't really care what's written.

At the annual meeting, Tony accused the r&f of not reading the magazines, which I took as an admission that he doesn't read them either. I think they each only care that their pet ideas are showcased, like Tony insisting they show wayward young brothers in tight pants, with one even stripping off his pants and hanging them on the wall for all to see. That obviously came from his sick mind and is his hallmark.

The GB members also don't have to suffer through WT studies. They are usually entertained on the weekends at assemblies or real estate dedications. After enjoying lunch hospitality they likely nap during the wt study, so they have the energy for their afternoon performance, likely dreaming of evening hospitality. Their rotund bellies and repetitiveness are the best evidence I can offer for this theory.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Let's be real here. This is in support for their anti-college view.

There are about 400 people who work for my company in my office building (it's an international company, but we have a big office in my city). Roughly 90 percent of the employees here have bachelor's degrees (including most of the administrative staff). About 40 percent have advanced degrees (master's or higher). Do they think we all get to control people? Do they think we are all prestigious? The vast majority have no interest in any of that. What they do have an interest in, though, is taking care of their families financially.

To be fair, I don't know how much of this is coming from a deeply cynical place and how much of it is just a product of sheer ignorance. I grew up in a Spanish language congregation full of immigrants and didn't really ever interact with any college-educated JWs. I remember when I was around 18, I met a recent JW convert who had a two-year associate's degree. Man, I thought that guy was something else. He had an associate's degree! I used to talk him up all the time and he'd be visibly embarrassed by it

Maybe these dingbats know so little about the real world that they imagine everyone out there with a college degree is living some kind of luxurious hedonistic lifestyle. Spoiler alert: Most people with college degrees are barely earning income above the median.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I HATE THE WT!

Is it true that succeeding in a secular career that offers power and prestige leads to lasting happiness? No.

That is the usual False Premise question that the WT is famous for.

A: I was going to go to college to major in Power and Prestige, or to have a Building named after me, but could not find that course?

B: Is it true that having an ordinary job leads to lasting happiness? No. Is it true that having long blond hair and big boobs will lead to lasting happiness? No. Is it true that eating your greens at every meal will lead to lasting happiness? No.

Fuck the WT and the 7 Hoods that run it!

• steve2
    steve2

Unfortunately, Gem Number 1 will go completely over the heads of all the Yes-Men in JW organization who crave the approval of men higher up the Organization’s chain of power and who are deeply invested in micro-managing (ie., controlling) all those under their control.

There are truly none so blind as those who refuse to see....😔

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit