Celebrating Wedding Anniversaries Is Unscriptural! You Gotta READ This!

by AlanF 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

The May 18, 1956 Awake had the article entitled,"Husband and Wife Worship Unscriptural". It states:"Nowhere in the Bible do we find that mates are to be worshipped, or that there should be a Wedding Anniversary Day kept in their honor. Worship belongs exclusively to Jehovah God, as He himself says:' I Jehovah your God am a God exacting exclusive devotion'. ..... The female organ called the 'hymen' is named after the God of Weddings Hymenaeus, who was worshipped by the pagan Greeks. He personified the hymn sung outside the bridal chamber....Hymenaeus consorted with Eros, the god of sex, and with Zeus, the king of the gods.".......Christendom today makes much of Wedding Anniversaries, but the greatest of all husbands and the greatest of all wives are not universally worshipped in her domain. Jehovah God is the Husband of his wifely Organization and His "woman" is his organization. She is the mother of those that receive life from God.......On the face of it the arrangement of Wedding Anniversary Days seems harmless and calculated to do good. But the people are in ignorance of Satan's subtle hand in the matter......The wife that dishonors God is not a good woman, regardless of how many children she may bear; whereas some of her children may be faithful servants of Jehovah. The good wife is the one that serves and honors Jehovah and teaches her children to do likewise, and who renders her proper wifely duties in the home. Real men have great respect and great love for such wives, but their worship they give to Jehovah God. The same can be said for good husbands."

AlanF

• riz
    riz

The writer's resentment of the female is glaringly obvious. The article would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Thanks for my morning dry-heave, Alan

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Ah, another gem for my archives.

Do you by any chance mean "May 8", rather than 18? And, is there a page number available?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi RunningMan,

: Do you by any chance mean "May 8", rather than 18? And, is there a page number available?

No, it's supposed to a joke. It's a take-off on Minimus' thread "Celebrating Mothers and Fathers Day Is Unscriptural!" The point of the joke is to show that exactly the same arguments can be used to 'prove' that celebrating wedding anniversaries is just as 'bad' as celebrating mothers' and father's day -- the point being that the arguments are completely bogus because the Watchtower has no problem with the one, but condemns the other. In other words, the Watchtower is thoroughly hypocritical.

AlanF

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Wow, that was a pretty good satire. It was completely indistinguishable from the real thing. In fact, I have read worse in the real mags.

• shamus
    shamus

The pharisees strike again.........

The babylonians used to go to the bathroom too... are we not allowed to do that, b/c it promotes false worship?

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

God do I wish they actually had printed that! Imagine showing it to a dub from a bound volume right next to the latest afake?

• riz
    riz

Well- don't I feel like a horse's patoot. I didn't read minimuseseses thread. Good one, Alan!

• manon
    manon

"Nowhere in the bible do we find that mates are to be worshipped, or that there should be a wedding anniversary day kept in their honor". I believe the author of this article should have read Hebrew 13:4 [Marriage is to be honored by all, and husbands and wives must be faithful to each other.] I think this applies.

Key control phrase "Jehovah God is the husband of his wifely organization and his "woman" is his ORGANIZATION. She is the mother of those that receive life from God...... The wifey lives in Brooklyn, the rest of the article is thinly veiled with pretty embellishments.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

ROTFLMAO @ AlanF, Good one!

j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit