55 Year Cycle shows up in March 2024 Watchtower

by was a new boy 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Another, 'If you are a young person', so it's more like 28 year cycle.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/201995287?q=If+you+are+a+young+person&p=doc

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Except it’s not a repeat, is it? Because the latest Watchtower comments don’t repeat the bold assertion that young people will not grow up in this system of things. They have tamed down their rhetoric and have learned from experience not to be too specific about timeframes.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

....& give themselves a rope to hang themselves with,,, yet again.

Either they just cant learn from such blunders,, or forgotten about them.

If that is the case,,,,obviously man-made. You see.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

was a new boy, That photo on page one of this thread, about how to choose appropriate friends, is a study in the dress standards. Ankle length skirts, no cleavage revealed. In fact, the way she's got her red cardigan buttoned up over her top looks like she's going for some sort of "reverse cleavage" look!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

NotFormer, you'll notice that the girl next to her has the same cardigan over long skirt combo.

It's a kind of JW uniform. Not surprising because what they really want is Uniformity not Unity as they say.

So we have this change of dress and grooming standards now with the relaxation of beards.

Maybe someone finally told them that they weren't looking like upstanding members of society anymore, they were looking like JWs! It's easy to pick them out of a crowd.

So, what do they want? To blend in as respectable citizens or look different? They need to decide because the loose polyester suit and long skirt/ cardigan is making them stand out. No one dresses that way anymore.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

GrreatTeacher, you might find yourself a bit confused in my rural city. The local JWs manning the trolley/cart usually wear Akubra hats (kind of like a Stetson). Would that be a regional thing? For example, would JWs in Texas wear Stetsons?

As to the girls and their cardigans, this is harkening back to the "Both sides of the coin" thread. Which way do they want to go: stand out, or blend in?

• titch
    titch

Folks: The comment from NotFormer reminded me of something. Now, at my end of the line, on my computer, I can't really tell what the dress lengths are---ankle length? Just below the knee? I can't really tell , from the photo. But, I don't live very far from a local Kingdom Hall, in a nearby city. And, right across the street from the Hall is an elementary school. And, every once in a while, I'll stop at the school parking lot, and observe Witnesses as they are arriving and entering the building. Doing that, I've observed that many of the sisters are wearing dresses that are ankle-length. Oh that's fine with me, doesn't bother me at all. But, back in the early 1970s, when I was still a Witness and my Mom was too, we were assigned to a Congregation Book Study group, at the home of a family; the Sister in that family and my Mom were good friends through the years. Now, there was one evening that the Sister wore an ankle-length dress. That didn't bother me at all; it did not offend me as a 19-year old young person. A few days after that Book Study my Mom told me that the Elder assigned to the group as the Study Conductor had counseled that Sister, advising her against wearing a dress that was that long. She was told, You shouldn't get "so casual" while attending a meeting, whether it's a "Book Study" or at the Kingdom Hall. Now back then, when my Mom told me that, I was thinking, Sheesh, Really? YOu've got to be joking. Just how long is a Sister's dress supposed to be be, in order to be pleasing to Jehovah, (Yahweh)? Oh well, compare THAT mindset with the mindset that seems to exist today, 50 years later. Best Regards, Everyone --Titch. -

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

titch, an ankle length dress was "casual"? Was there some sort of reasoning like "Business women wear skirts below the knee, which makes them more formal"? Or was the elder just an idiot?

As you say: "Just how long is a Sister's dress supposed to be be, in order to be pleasing to Jehovah, (Yahweh)?"

• Biahi
    Biahi

Not former, it’s just an asshole elder making up some crap, to remind her to be “in subjection”.

• titch
    titch

NotFormer: Well, yeah, that was the mindset of that particular Elder, at that time. Wearing a long, ankle-length dress was being, well, "too casual." What his reasoning was, I do not know. In retrospect, what I should've been thinking was "just how long a dress should be, in order to please the Body of Elders in the congregation." Best Regards, Everyone.-----Titch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit