Did You Attend Meetings When You Were Away On Holiday?

by Englishman 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jaded
    jaded

Only once when staying with my uncle in Phoenix. And that was because he thought we should. Funny thing was, he wasn't even a JW. Just thought that we should go to "church" even though we were on vacation. Good thing that he didn't know we had other meetings besides Sunday. lol.

Anyway, you all know how you are supposed to be greeted and fussed over because you are a "new face". We were completely ignored. We had to initiate conversation with the "loving brothers". What a waste of sunny weather.

• renee
    renee

we always attended meetings, had our family study, did our personal study, etc. on our "vacations", nothing like walking into a hall full of strangers on a tuesday night and sitting for two long hours. half of our luggage in the car was our meeting clothes, books and bookbags..i loved vacations but dreaded our vacation meetings!!!

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

WEEK STARTING MAY 31

Song 32

5 min: Local announcements. Suggest that any tracts left over be used up in the early part of June.

min: "Booklets to Help Us Make Disciples." Discussion of article with some audience participation. Have three demonstrations of placing booklets as suggested in paragraphs 3 to 5.

min: "Include Meetings in Your Vacation Plans." Discuss article with audience, making it clear how one may find addresses of Kingdom Halls when away from home. Invite expressions showing how some have benefited from meeting with other congregations during vacation periods.

min: "Will You Cling to the Truth?" Talk based on article in March 15, 1987, Watchtower.

Song 71 and concluding prayer.

Jst2

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

*** km 6/87 p. 3 Include Meetings in Your Vacation Plans ***

Many find that some of their most memorable experiences on vacation are enjoyed when they attend meetings and share in field service with the local congregation. ......

....Some local newspapers give the Kingdom Hall address along with meeting times. The local telephone directory may have a listing under "Jehovah’s Witnesses" or "Kingdom Hall." Otherwise, you may find a policeman, postman, or other knowledgeable resident who can either direct you to the Kingdom Hall or assist you in contacting brothers living in the community. It is a good idea to look up the congregation as soon as you arrive in the area.

4 Vacation time gives us an opportunity to be away from our secular activity and enjoy a few days of relaxation. However, we do not want to take time off from serving Jehovah

There you go!! A little more spiritual food at it's proper time....that not even members of the governing body could swallow.

Jst2laws

• outnfree
    outnfree

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Never when I was away on vacation alone with my husband.

Usually when we were at the family cottage in Pennsylvania whether or not hubby was along with us. He would play golf on Sunday AM, we would go to the KH. I used trips without him to the cottage to fit in our District Conventions so that we could attend without his nose getting out of joint. There was a time when the kids were little that I spent every other week at the cottage during the summer -- hubby was busy doing work out of the country -- so we sort of adopted the local KH as our own. Sometimes during the week we would to to the TMS/Svc. Mtg. or the Book Study (usually not both). We only went out in service with that local congregation maybe twice, though, during the 8 or so years that we spent there.

When we got our house in Florida, I occasionally would make the Sunday meeting in Haines City, but never went to week night meetings there.

outnfree

• larc
    larc

I remember back in the old days, when we had six month assemmblies. We had had very little vacation time left when they were over, so no, we did not have much discretionaray time. During the year, we pioneered at the rate of 200 hours a month, and lived under a bridge, in a card board box. Life was tough in those days, but so wonderful, because we knew that Jah, would be there for us at any time.

I sure hope you appreciate my sincerety in writing this to you.

I know you do.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Anyway, you all know how you are supposed to be greeted and fussed over because you are a "new face". We were completely ignored. We had to initiate conversation with the "loving brothers". What a waste of sunny weather.

Wow, did THIS bring back memories! I was visiting out-of-state and started a study with a relative. He was bringing me back home and was going to stay a week with us. Before we started back, he agreed to attend the Public Talk at the KH near his house. The same thing happened to us......NOBODY approached us; one or two smiled but didn't say anything, and I was embarrassed. I ended up going up to the Brother who gave the Talk and began a conversation on certain "points" he made, only to discover he wasn't FROM that KH!

To answer the question; the only time I went to meetings was when I stayed with a JW relative, and I'd wiggle out of THOSE whenever I could get away with it! WE got the same tired "no vacation from Jehovah" speech ALL the time here.

Hugs,

Annie

• rocketman
    rocketman

NO WAY.

Englishman, that example you used is startling, since they have all those KM articles come summer time especially about making arrangements to attend meetings on vacation.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I wouldn't know.

When your family is so poor because JW doctrine teaches generations of people not to pursue education beyond high school, and to devote as much time as possible peddling magazines for free even if it means giving up full time jobs, my family did not have the money to go on vacations. We instead spent summers in field service and attending meetings.

Only now since I have grown up and ventured on my own have I traveled substantially.

I hate Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What not go to a meeting while on vacation? What sacrilege! What folly!

Married to an elder didn't give us a chance to miss a meeting. We either went where there were meetings or he brought them to us. Even camping he made sure we sat down on Sun and Tues for meetings.

I dreaded it - every minute. Hated going to meetings to be ignored. Really hated home-made meetings

Freedom I love it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit