Did You Attend Meetings When You Were Away On Holiday?

by Englishman 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

My parents did. As a youth, I would accompany my parents to wherever they decided to holiday that year. Number 1 priority was to find the local Kingdom Hall! Then we would all turn up to the WT, where we would compete with one another to answer questions, thus showing what mature dubs we all were.

So this is what everyone does, isn't it?

WRONG!

I was astonished to discover, some years later, that the bethel hierarchy do not attend meetings during their yearly vacation, when I stumbled across John Wynne, UK GB member in a cinema in WSM, watching a James Bond Movie with his American wife.

I asked him if he would be attending the Service Meeting at our local KH that week. His good lady jumped in with a wonderful Kingdom Smile and said "I don't think so, this is our vacation you know".

I was severely stumbled, I can tell you!

Anyway, back to the Q, do you / did you visit other KH's during your holidays away from home?

Also, did you try to come across as a much more mature person than you really were?

Englishman.

• JH
    JH

Vacations means vacations. NO, I wouldn't go to a KH for a meeting on vacations elsewhere. Even less in the field service.

So many said that they did, well I think they wanted to look spiritual at the local hall as well as at the other hall where they took their vacations.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Too right we did, we had a talk from the platform saying "we never have a vacation from Jehovah" it encouraged everyone to continue to "witness" even if they were on the beach...geesh. I seldom went on Holiday as a JW but if we did we found the KH.

Brumm

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Just once, when we were in Florida at the same time as the memorial.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Good question!

I remember people in the hall would go on a week long vacation, and others would ask them, in a very worried tone, what are you going to do about the meeting?

Especially if the witness was going on a cruise, where there would be no way to make the meeting. Some were very concerned, so they said they would study during the meeting times. Oh my, can you believe it??

I never went to meetings while on vacation as an adult. No way I was going to ruin the vacation! Come on, one of the best things about being on vacation was not going to the meetings!

• Soledad
    Soledad

oh god my mother made it a point that we had to locate a kingdom hall even while away on vacation!! "there is never a vacation from jehovah!"

• shamus
    shamus

NEVER, EVER, EVER. I NEEDED THE BREAK FOR MY OWN SANITY!!!!!!

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

Sometimes I did, but not always. If we were visisting a country that had a branch office I always tried to visit it. My x-wife hated that. She said they were all the same. As far as I know she's not a dub anymore either.

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Ask Chevysntats - who convieniently took a wrong turning in Los Angeles and took us all into the Ghettos of east LA.............on a meeting night !

I have to overcome the problem of asking in Spanish where the toilets are, whilst Chevy and the girls get chased by some angry mexicans who want to take them away to their mother country.

Meanwhile I have to phone home to say "uh sorry but I dont think we will make the meeting tonight, we are stuck in a ghetto!"

• Princess
    Princess

We almost always did. I remember going to meetings while visiting my inactive aunt and uncle in California, everyone was always glad to see my dad so they could rat out my relatives to him. We went in Hawaii too! God, that was awful. All I could think about was playing at the beach and there we were, sitting in the hall through a miserable meeting. No air conditioning either.

Mulan and my sister in law actually went out in service while vacationing in Hawaii one year. Pioneers, sheesh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit