Did People In The "Truth" Have Better Marriages Than Those In The "World"?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

"Marry only in the Lord"...... If you marry outside the "truth", your marriage "will be doomed"...... What was your experience regarding a mutual Witness marriage? Was it all that it was cracked up to be??? Did you know of others that had a great marriage because theywere Witnesses?

• JH
    JH

Marriages in the truth was supposed to guarantee you eternal happiness.

Well many in the congregation got divorced with time. So many were in their 2 and 3 marriage.

Not because people in the JW's are married for 10 or 20 years means that they are happy.

• JH
    JH

Better marriage?

If the husband or wife decides he has enough with the troof, what do you think happens.

A divorece.....

So the marriage is quite fragile thank you.

• caligirl
    caligirl

My first marriage to a witness ended in divorce, and it was headed for that almost from the beginning, it just took almost 9 years to end, 12 if you count the "dating years" I know a lot who married because they found that "spiritual match" so highly spoken of in the publications. To me, that does not qualify as a great foundation for marriage. Like JH pointed out, what happens when one of them changes their mind and doesn't want to be the good little witness anymore? I think many stay locked in the misery of a bad marriage because they have nowhere else to go. If they divorce based on anything but adultery, they are not "scripturally free" to remarry so if they buy the party line, they are stuck being single, and many don't want to risk leaving and be DF'd because they have no life outside the congregation. So, that leaves them stuck in a lousy marriage with no way out, in their minds anyways and the prospect of smiling and acting for everyone like life is just peachy as a life sentence.

I don't know of anyone that had a good marriage simply because they were witnesses. A good marriage is based on mutual love, respect and the commitment to work through differences together as each one grows and changes throughout life, in my opinion.

• minimus
    minimus

I know scores of couples that can't stand each other but stay either because of finances, the children, or the "truth".

• Shakita
    Shakita

I don't think JW's are any different than regular joes. They have the same problems as anyone else.

Mr. Shakita and I were just discussing this the other day. We found out that a prominent couple in our former congregation have split up. This came as quite a shock as they always seemed like they had a very happy marriage. Goes to show you, all you see when in public is the good stuff, not what is really going on behind closed doors. It is very sad really, you never know what tomorrow holds.

Mrs. Shakita

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I don't think JW's are any different than regular joes. They have the same problems as anyone else.

Shakita, I think you are on to something there. I read a 1997 study paper that said that JW marriages have the same divorce rate as the regular public. ....so maybe that three-strand cord theory needs a little work.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

No. Think man, think... ORAL SEX!

• Far North
    Far North

My daughters observed that many of the young guys in the org. are mamas boys and have a high opinion of themselves because of it being a male-dominated society.

Many young girls settle for what is avaliable and overlook personality quirks or potential problems. This can apply to both sexes.

I married in the truth and it's gone pretty well. My wife would second that if she hadn't left me for being a jerk. (Just kidding)

The only advantage I see is that the 'truth' gives you few outs so you tend to ride out the hard times. Maybe that's good sometimes but I have seen some marriages that are a disaster but they keep pretending because of the org. consequences.

• minimus
    minimus

Mr. Moe, i think oral sex is not that much of an issue. I THINK that most couples engage in the dirty deed but don't talk about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit