Trinity...cross...Does it matter?

by NikL 39 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The reality is, we may NEVER know the specifics of many things and doctrines...and that is OK.

It is OK to not know everything.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I believe Jesus is God. John believed it; Paul believed it also. However, I don't believe it is necessary to comprehend the nature of God as triune to be saved. But I do believe it is necessary to respond to Jesus as you would to God to be saved. One can believe the Trinity and be lost. One can not come to Jesus repenting of their sin and be rejected.

• btlc
    btlc

I always was stunned how JW line of thought is grafted from logic.

In example, God's Name, "the exact pronunciation of which has not been preserved", "while many translators favor the pronunciation “Yahweh,” the New World Translation continues to use the form “Jehovah” because of people’s familiarity with it for centuries."

But, in the case of stauros (check google translate from greek), the exact shape of wich has not been preserved, while many experts favor the shape of the cross, the New World Translation continues to use the form "the torture stake", no matter what's more familiar to people for centuries.

So, when is about the God's Name, we don't know exactly, let's take what's more familiar to people, but when is about the shape of wood, we don't know exactly either, let's invent the new name and ignore what's more familiar to people.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Trinity and Cross,do they matter ?

To JW's they do, I have heard them dismiss with a wave of the hand all the Christian religions that use the Cross and those that teach the Trinity.

Of course the JW position is not one that bears scrutiny. But they just know they have the truth and all these others do not.

They are as averse to Facts as is the Donald and his supporters.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Does it matter if early Christians met in private homes or fancy buildings? Does it matter if Jesus and the apostles had beards? Does it matter about how to properly pronounce god's name? Does it matter that supposedly god preserved the bible (in tact) through the dark times in history, but could not also preserve his name in the bible?

These, and all the other mentioned issues, are very important matters if you are starting your own religion and need to be different from the competition. Rutherford was a master at knowing that controversy is the best way of attracting attention!

just saying!

• Londo111
    Londo111

"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing."--1 Corinthians 13:2

So according to this, you can have everything "correct" on doctrine, and have the "correct" faith, but without love, none of that matters.

Sometimes it seems those who strive the most about doctrine seem the least loving.

• steve2
    steve2

At one time it bothered me that, regardless of how moral and devout your life was, you would be condemned to death because you either believed or did not believe in the Trinity.

JWs said as much as did religionists on the other side.

As this thread has shown, as long as people can "argue", doctrines will be heralded over quality of lives.

It no longer bothers me. It's called growing up and taking responsibility for you life and not bedding down into infantile doctrines of one kind or another.

• steve2
    steve2

At one time it bothered me that, regardless of how moral and devout your life was, you would be condemned to death because you either believed or did not believe in the Trinity.

JWs said as much as did religionists on the other side.

As this thread has shown, as long as people can "argue", doctrines will be heralded over quality of lives.

It no longer bothers me. It's called growing up and taking responsibility for you life and not bedding down into infantile doctrines of one kind or another.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Perry it's good to see you back.

• AnonVet
    AnonVet

The cross --- overlapping torture stakes.

Trinity --- overlapping divinities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit