Remembering Rutherford

by Sea Breeze 156 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

I’m sure Charlie Manson said some good things in his lifetime but it wouldn’t prevent me from saying he was still a horrible human being. From my research on Rutherford, he doesn’t appear to be the man of God that you might envision.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

minimus, when I said I need to "do more reading about the matter" I primarily had in mind the reading of the sources referred to in this message thread. Thus far I have only skimmed the content of those sources. My view of Rutherford's character is not as favorable as my view of Russell, Knorr, Fred Franz, and Raymond Franz. My less favorable view of Rutherford is thus far primarily due to what I have read of what he said in some of his books.

Regarding the photo of Rutherford holding a glass containing a beverage, I don't know if the beverage was wine (or other alcoholic drink), unfermented grape (or other fruit) juice, or some other dark colored nonalcoholic drink. I don't know if the photo was taken when prohibition laws were in effect or at a different time. In looking at Rutherford I can't tell whether he was drunk or not. His facial expression looks happy to me, but other than that I can't tell from the photo what Rutherford's mental state was when the photo was taken.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

There is a video out there somewhere that shows Rutherford drinking from a glass, and it sure looks like he is inebriated. Maybe someone can provide a link to it.

I don't think Rutherford was any more or less a charlatan than Russell, Franz or any of the others, but I do think that he a shocking disregard for his followers. He instituted doctrines and practices that hurt people, and he didn't seem to care. I believe he intentionally provoked a lot of the legal issues in the '30's and into the '40's just so he could get court cases on the books to establish precedents. Likewise, his deliberate provocation of Hitler in the '30s was a terrible action, ultimately causing the death or incarceration of many of the Bible Students.

• minimus
    minimus

Dis, you are one of those people that would never convict on circumstantial evidence. The guy could have a gun in his hand. Is it a toy gun? Does it have real bullets in it? He points it to a person and suddenly the person falls down dead. There are plenty of people in the room and maybe some others had guns. You didn’t see the bullet fly so who knows? Maybe he didn’t shoot after all. Maybe you are not an apologist but you sure don’t get convinced easily. LOL!

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    minimus
    Dis, you are one of those people that would never convict on circumstantial evidence.
    https://catlov.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/tp-cats-10.jpg
  • minimus
    minimus

Pete. Lol!!! Dis would think someone who hates cats probably framed the cat.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

minimus, I have a confession to make to you. I don't want to ever have to be a juror. I don't want to risk making the mistake of convicting an innocent person, or of declaring a guilty person innocent. If I did end up as a juror I very probably would have a very hard time making a decision. When I first received a notice saying I was preliminarily selected to be a juror, I wrote a letter trying to get excused from jury duty. Fortunately the case was settled out of court (or my potential jury duty was postponed to another case). I didn't start getting jury summons notices until after I became a registered voter. See what happens when JWs (and former JWs) disobey the Governing Body? Fortunately all of the jury cases, that I received notices to serve jury duty for, have been settled out of court.

You nailed it, that is, you nailed me. But did you nail me to a cross or a stake? I'm not sure, since it is so hard to decide. To be safe I will just say it was to a staurous. (By the way the book mentioned at https://www.amazon.com/Nailed-Christian-Myths-Jesus-Existed/dp/0557709911 probably is a good book to read.)

pistolpete, it is very possible that the cat was framed. It would be very easy for someone who hates the cat to have torn up the roll of toilet paper, then placed it in front of the cat, and then made the photograph. Just saying.

• minimus
    minimus

Dis, lol.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    Disillusioned JW

it is very possible that the cat was framed. It would be very easy for someone who hates the cat to have torn up the roll of toilet paper, then placed it in front of the cat, and then made the photograph. Just saying.

There was a video!

https://youtu.be/vHk_zNvfivg

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

it is very possible that the cat was framed. It would be very easy for someone who hates the cat to have torn up the roll of toilet paper, then placed it in front of the cat, and then made the photograph. Just saying.

The Case is going to Court

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9ihK9_CfYX0/S7nZBZ7y-0I/AAAAAAAACUY/o7kMVh_3L7g/s400/gary+larson.jpg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit